age of male dance

Moderator: Mods

Rami

age of male dance

Post by Rami »

Hi everybody!
Wish you're fine!
I was wondering when does the IRN starts doing the male dance. I have an Indian Ringneck (i don't know the sex) and he/she is 5 months old aprox.
So, when do they start doing the male dance?

Thanks to all.
Rami.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

my ringneck started doing the dance about four months ago, so probably when he was about a year and a half. not sure if thats with all though.

does anyone know when the breeding season in the UK is? and do IRNs only do the dance around breeding season? or is it all year
Donna

Post by Donna »

does anyone know when the breeding season in the UK is?

You can contact a local breeder that breeds IRN's and get that info.

Males once they reach sexual maturity can do the dance anytime to anything weather it be a bell, mirror, or toy. Discourage this behavior if possiable, it only leads to frustration and plucking in some.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

how do you discourage it? i took away the mirror but mine does it to everything. he headbutts a ball thats hangin from the roof of the cage when it doesnt do anything after hes tried feeding it. he does a dance where he spreads his wings, pins his eyes and he just silently nods his head loads of times, aswell as the one where he does a wierd cheepy song. its highly amusing but really bizarre. is this part of the dance?
Donna

Post by Donna »

some people get confused as to what is just playing and male sexual behavior. Don't take any toys away if he is only headbutting or pinning and displaying. You want to discourage the masturbating and regurgitating on you or objects. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
nil

Post by nil »

does anyone know when the breeding season in the UK is?

in greece is from jan to april, i think the same in uk, maybe a month later.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Donna wrote:Don't take any toys away if he is only headbutting or pinning and displaying. You want to discourage the masturbating and regurgitating on you or objects

i dont take away the toys hes headbutting. i think its really funny tbh. i think it lets some stress out for him too. he hasn't regurgitated yet as i can tell, but he does this thing where he stands there and looks like hes trying to throw up... nothing comes up though and it freaks me out cus i think hes going to be sick. is that him trying to regurgitate? how would you stop him if he started doing it to you?
Donna

Post by Donna »

he stands there and looks like hes trying to throw up... nothing comes up though and it freaks me out cus i think hes going to be sick. is that him trying to regurgitate? how would you stop him if he started doing it to you?

Yes he is trying to feed you, Try to distract his attention on to something else. I don't like to use food as a distracter because then they feel they are getting rewarded for that behavior. Use a toy or take him for a ride around the house.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

ooooh. he doesnt do it very often, and its usually when we are near the cage giving him attention. ill distract him from now on. dont want loads of yuck around the cage and the house lol.

iv totally changed to subject of this post lol.. oops
Rami

Post by Rami »

but at what age aprox?

Mine runs in the cage and when he is sleeping que majes sounds. And sometimes puts his head on the fethears of the back..

This is male or female?
Donna

Post by Donna »

Rami wrote:but at what age aprox?

Mine runs in the cage and when he is sleeping que majes sounds. And sometimes puts his head on the fethears of the back..

This is male or female?

At about a year old they can start to do the dance.

They sleep with their head under their wings or just tilted on the back. Both male and female sleep this way, and yes they sometimes talk in their sleep.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Rami

!

Post by Rami »

Ok, I thought this action was a female action but I was wrong.

Thanks for the answer!