pating my bird

Moderator: Mods

lutino

pating my bird

Post by lutino »

Hi,
Ive had my IRN for almost a year and he/she is about 1yr 3 months.
He/she still wont let me touch him/her. If i try to, i get a growl, the eyes pin and he lunges and screams :( He will usually sit on my arm for abit though.
Is there anything i can do so i can pat him once and awhile?

Thanks
sarah
Tayyab

Post by Tayyab »

I feed mine a large amount of treats, mine started liking me like 5% when i gave it green chillies, try itl
lutino

Post by lutino »

Oh ok then. Does anyone else have suggestions?
nil

Post by nil »

each parrot has his own personality,so... :?:
my suggestion is patience :)
try to win his trust and make him to feel safe there, avoid things that may fear him
spend many time with him and give him treats with your hands
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Sarah,

Maybe your IRN is not a cuddley bird. I have a Lutino and she is quite happy to sit on me, fly to me, hang off me and make sure she is near me if she can see me, but she is not into pats. I can pat her but only on her terms and when she wants to be petted. Then it is usually a quick pat or two!

My other IRN I handraised are the opposite, wanted lots of cuddles. I raised all my birds the same way, just different personalities.

As he/she sits on your that is a start. :) Maybe try with treats or fav toy and just play with him/her without forcing pats. With time you could "accidently" :wink: try just brushing him/her with your finger/hand and let your bird (whats his/her name anyway?:)) feel your touch without the pressure of being patted. Then gradually touch and stroke a little more and for longer. Maybe over time you will be allowed to pet. :)

Good luck and let us know how things go

:)
lutino

Post by lutino »

Thanks for your ideas, i will try them. his/her name is lutino lol, how original. Its just cos i dont know the sex so i wanted a unisex name lol :D
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I must be really lucky--while ringnecks aren't "supposed" to be the cuddliest birds, Charlie Parker loves to be petted and scratched (especially since his first moult--itchy pin feathers!) and will even climb up my shirt (inside or outside--you never know :shock: ) and perch himself on my chest to rub his head on my chin. He almost insists on an hour of television time every evening to sit and get a neckrub and head scratch.