Questions bout my new IRN

Moderator: Mods

Tayyab

Questions bout my new IRN

Post by Tayyab »

hi, i just bought a new IRN and i would like some information bout these things:

What can i give it for treats?

How do i give it a bath?

Is wing clipping ok and how do i do it?

How to clip its nails?

Please i could have a fully understandable guide, so for question 2 i want it to say the temperature of water, what i do to get it in the container, and what type of container it should be, not just simple questions. Please help :oops:
Donna

Post by Donna »

http://www.kaytee.com/companion_animals ... _clipping/

You can give the bird a shallow bowl of cool or warm water and let it spash around in it or you can use a spray bottle and mist the bird or you can take him to the shower and let him take a shower with you just don't have a really hot shower.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Tayyab

Post by Tayyab »

Ok, what if it doesnt go into the bowl of water and splash around itself? what can i do then?
Donna

Post by Donna »

Tayyab wrote:Ok, what if it doesnt go into the bowl of water and splash around itself? what can i do then?

I give you two other options, a spray bottle or a shower in the bathroom
Last edited by Donna on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Bella

Post by Bella »

The only way i can get billy to bathe is in the shower with me. First i took him in and stood by the shower so he could get used to the sound, then i got inside i didnt put the shower directly on him as i think it may be too powerful so i put my hand against the water and it sprays a mist over him and he will just have a shake about on my head then hop off onto the showerglass and wait for me to get out. Hope this helps :D
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Tayyab

Post by Tayyab »

Thanks, I think spraying it will be the best option :)
bec

Post by bec »

kieron will only bath in clearr plastic bowls ....even if they are too small for hinm to fit in and the sprat bottle is only accepted if its very light & over his head so it falls on him like a gentle rain
riku likes to get her head wet first by attempting to stand on her head in the water bowl (& yes that does look as funny as it sounds :lol: ) then will sit on a perch for me to absolutly drench her all over with the spray bottle
i guess what im trying to say tayyab is that your irn will soon let you know what he(?) wants for his bathing ritual
but you can have alot of fun with them trying to discover their choice :lol: :D :lol: :D
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Spit tries to bath in his water bowl but its too small for him to fit in, so i put the lid of a pyrex bowl (shallower than a full bowl) in the bottom of his cage with warm water in, so he can sit in it and he sits with his wings spread out and flicks water over himself.

for treats when hes out the cage and being good i break up a digestive biscuit (has no additives or preservaties etc.) into bite size pieces, or i give him crisps/chips (dependin what country your from) that are made for babies (check ingredients first), or i chop an apple up into bitesize pieces too.

wing clipping, id go to an avian vet first and get them to do it first time. its not difficult, and youll probably be able to do it yourself afterwards once youve seen how to do it. you might need another person to help though, depending on your bird.

i clipped my fids toe nails last night with some help from my partner, but im used to clipping rats nails and they have a blood vessel in them too, so i know about how much to trim off. again, id go to an avian vet and just watch first and get good advice.
Poochletty

Post by Poochletty »

I was reading an earlier thread about getting the birds to bath. Everyone seemed to be realizing they all (their IRNs) seem to suddenly get inspired to bathe when their people vaccuum. My 18 yr old daughter loves animals and does a ton of research about many animals. Especially birds. So, I was telling her about this phenomenon. Her theory is that the vaccuum instinctively reminds them of a thunderstorm. So something ingrained in them says... "BATH TIME!!" So, I tried it with Blue (who wouldn't bathe). I put in a nice new tub and tepid water and switched on the vaccuum cleaner. Sure enough he went straight to his tiny little water bowl and tried to squeeze his chubby little bottom into it.

My point is... the vaccuum works. (Now to draw him a diagram of size relations)