At what age do they?

Moderator: Mods

lovemybirds

At what age do they?

Post by lovemybirds »

At approximately what ages do they moult?

I've noticed the last day or so, a lot of fluffy feathers hanging in/around Cookies cage. Does this mean he/she is moulting? Or should I be worried about boredom and plucking feathers?

Any info would be fantastic!

Thanks
Donna
Lene

Post by Lene »

My Paulie is 6 months old and haven't moulted, yet.
Cheers

Lene
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yoda went through his first big moult during the summer, he was around 1 year old. If you see bald patches forming without any new feathers coming in, that would be cause for concern but Yoda was loosing some down and covert feathers (small fluffys) even at 6 months. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Spit started moulting a few down feathers the other week for a few days, but it seems to have slowed down now. he moulted last year towards the end of the summer, and it started out with loads of down in the bottom of the cage, and then the ones on his chest started moultin. he had a bald-ish patch on his chest which i was worried about. you couldnt see the skin, just the down, but the feathers over it grew back and now he looks gorgeous. spits about 18months maybe younger (convo from another post lol) and i think hes moulted twice already, due another one soon me thinks

oooo! a question.. when your birds moult.. do they eat the down feathers? or is that just Spit being wierd?

he gets them stuck on the tip of his beak and growls when he cant rub them off.. tis funny
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

hi donna my baby is called cookie too :D
he moulted at 6 months just a small one then at one he had a massive moult and his ring started to come through.
ryelle cookie sometimes eats his feathers