How long does a moult last for?

Moderator: Mods

MissVuks

How long does a moult last for?

Post by MissVuks »

Monte has been moulting and growing new feather for what seems an eternity now LOL

He went through a really scraggly stage but his head just seems to get more n more pin feathers. His body is looking a lot more sleek now but every now n then he'll let me have a look and i can still see new feathers growing on his back, chest and near his neck

I think he's been moulting for over 6 weeks now - is that considered normal?

His wing that hadnt grown since we got him last feb is slowly growing. He had 2 or 3 feathers that crossed over with his other wing and for some reason they fell out just as quickly as he got them..

Hes having trouble taking the casings off a few of his feathers on his wing - its been at the same level for the past week..

Do you think i should take him to the avian vets to give him a lil check up??
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi

The IRNs have really dense feathering compared to a lot of other parrots, so it's not surprising that the moult can take some time.

None of mine have moulted, yet. Paulie is 6 months old and Toby is 4 months old.

It could probably also depend of where you live, what kind of climate you have. I live in Brisbane, Australia, and we have subtropical climate.

Another member here was worried about his IRN, and it turned out the bird had mites, which is very easy for caged birds to get.

If you're worried, it might be a good idea to take your bird to the vet.
Cheers

Lene
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon moults for ages on end but only a few feathers at a time never a major heavy moult so i cant help you, but i would say go with your gut if you are worried go to the vet, if you think its just a really really heavy moult then hold off for maybe another month, sometimes birds moult for a long time i know when we had Jade she moulted for a long time.

A spray shower or a shower with you could help with the process of moulting they get to clean adn helps smooths the bird so i have read anyway, Amazon gets a shower with me pretty much every morning unless its a rainy cold day and it helps his feathers come out aswell when he is moulting.

Good luck, but still go with that gut feeling of yours, your the only one that can see your baby.
Sharlene and Amazon
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

cookies last moult lasted from end of november to end of january
my_monkey

how to tell

Post by my_monkey »

how do you tell? my monkey che3st feathers look like crap right now he has been sprayed for bird ticks n lice n he likes to take a mist shower who knew ringnecks liked showers anyway how do you tell if justs molting?