its showed oliver was female

NO female actioons

all male?!
So i was wondering if it could be wrong

Put your opinions in here
-Justin
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

What is the percentage the company gave you?
Are you able to get a retest?
Did you do the task yourself or did a female help you? (not that I know if that would make a difference or not... )

I'm sure others are more knowledgeable about this than me...
I know you are hoping he is a boy....
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:shock: Of course with any testing there is a chance it can be wrong, but I think its rare.. DNA testing is pretty accurate as far as I know.. and some young birds can just act a little like the opposite sex. Confusing huh! But I think you have a female!!! WOAH! Didnt see that coming. :lol: I thought male all along! Shows how much we know! A lil girl!!!

I've heard of surgical sexing.. but I heard its not a prefered method of sexing them.. the bits and pieces are inside them! :? Males have testies up near the kidneys, so how do they surgically sex them I wonder? :?

Congrads on the lil girl!!! You might have to call her Olivia. hehe :shock:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

i refuse to believe it :lol:

so male to me.... and mabye i did something wrong with the feathers

or they could have them mixed up

Well im not giving up.. Because i know they can act like one but he does more than act

So but im not dissapointed just confused :?
-Justin
Ed Loschi

Olivia's sex

Post by Ed Loschi »

I guessed the sex back in January...where's the prize!
DNA testing is very unlikely to be wrong, though there is a faint possibility; the sample you sent in might have been contaminated with other DNA.
Olivia is going to be all girl and that will be good too.
My female Kiwi is much more affectionate than Bebe (male) she is louder and more territorial and a rough customer when The Beeb gets to close to her or when he is hanging with me.
She will come to me and try to get into pillows and blankets and set up a cozy nest.
He flies off to find the best perch nearest to food and rarely makes a move without knowing where she is.
Why didn't you postpone the DNA test and just wait for her next molt? The males ring comes in between 18 months and 24 months after hatching.
inept

Post by inept »

Realistically, the only circumstance under which it could be wrong would be a mixup at the lab. It's certainly possible that your sample was switched with another or something like that, but it's most likely that you've got a girl.

Even with the possibility of errors factored in, the test is much more likely to be correct than your assessment based on the bird's behavior. I guess you should just wait a little while and see if she sprouts a ring.
Oliver and Justin

yea i guess

Just a little dissapointed it female

Really wanted male '

Thanks
-Justin
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Can I ask why you want a boy? Females are just as lovable.. just take a look at some of our other girls around here. :D
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Dont you know that female can be more bonded to their owner than male does? They will get very loyal to their chosen person.
Lovy my first IRN is female and she is lovely.

But who knows, the DNA test could be wrong, you might want to do a retest.
leo

Post by leo »

some people really have preffrance...as male and female have theirown good and bad point...

eventhough femlae might have more problems than male,
i think if handled well, female will do as good...
but to be honest, i do want tnago to be male, but prepared to accept all the possibility...hehe

i think shoul try ask the DNA guy to ask that oliver has been doing male stuff all awhile and ask for retest if possible...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Oliver and Justin

I just wanted one. real bad

i heard so many horror storys about how much more better males are than females.

Yea i know you can look around and see them how good they are.

But it doesnt mean all will be good.....

so but its whatever :roll:
-Justin
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I don't think there is a real difference and wouldnt believe those stories. Every bird is an individual. :wink: I mean, Oliver is still the same bird you loved unconditionally before, it shouldnt be any different now. Right?

I heard alot of breeders don't sex their babies because too many people ask for males and the females get left out, just because they are female! I just think people should really look into female birds, because they are just as special as males. :(
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

My Jasper is female and although she is not "cuddley" she loves to be in with all the action. Every time I am in her aviary, she flies straight on me and I have to pry her off when I leave.
The bird in the video I posted in another thread is female. When I looked after her while her owner was away for a week, she was a bit feral as she hadn't had much attention due to work commitments by her owner. But it only took 2 days or so for her to be back to her sweet, mushy self just like in the video. I had her out and looking for cuddles again. It was hard to give her back!!!!

:)
Oliver and Justin

yes i agree lauren

I just heard horror storys so it made me fearful

i mean i just think since i am a male then i wanted a male

hahah
:oops:
-Justin
Rami

Post by Rami »

Oh..
I'm sorry if it's a female..
But, you saw him doing the male dance..
But what about if the DNA is wrong?
Think of that pssibility, too.
Male or female you just have fun with Oliver. The sex doesn't matter. Each bird, each animal, each human has differents personalities, so it all doesn't depend on male or female.
nil

Post by nil »

since i am a male then i wanted a male

do you intend to play football with him?

i prefer a date with a girl from a football game with a boy :lol:
just a joke :lol:
Oliver and Justin

hahah nil THANKS :wink:

well i have decided that its the same bird i loved before :wink:

It shouldnt matter as much as i though it should :D

I just heard storys about how bad females were compared to males so i think i was scared with taht but hey oliver(which i am still gonna her cause she is a manly girl :lol: )

So but she is out right now She is starting to give kisses :D
-Justin
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Ahhhh giving kisses? That's sweet. I wouldn't worry about female vs male. I have other birds that we have no idea if they are male of female. We don't care, though. We just love them because they're our baby birds. :D
Rami

Post by Rami »

I heard some storys too , that females aren't "better" than males.
But I came to this website and know I now, it isn't true.
Oliver is a good girl! :D
Waiting for more pics of Oliver! and video!
Maybe she was a monkey in the past! She sounds like a monkey! :D
Oliver and Justin

yea some birds you cant tell

I think females should get the ring too! Cause they feel left out

At least that is what oliver said :wink:

I think im just gonna call her oli cause really people have no idea if its male or female if there not a ringneck knowlegeable person :lol:

I tell you i will have oliver and i want a scarlet macaw. I love those! :D

That one i post a pic of on here loved me.! I want to breed them. When i am older and i would get one now but my mom doesnt let me have but 1 bird. Oh well

Im getting a puppy golden soon

our golden is on his last leg :(
-Justin
Oliver and Justin

yea some birds you cant tell

I think females should get the ring too! Cause they feel left out

At least that is what oliver said :wink:

I think im just gonna call her oli cause really people have no idea if its male or female if there not a ringneck knowlegeable person :lol:

I tell you i will have oliver and i want a scarlet macaw. I love those! :D

That one i post a pic of on here loved me.! I want to breed them. When i am older and i would get one now but my mom doesnt let me have but 1 bird. Oh well

Im getting a puppy golden soon

our golden is on his last leg :(
-Justin
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

If you really wanted a male then you might want to draw a ring around her neck, hehehehehe just kidding just kidding!

Scarlet macaw, interesting.. I would rather go for the mini macaw though, as Im not yet interested in larger hookbill.

I used to have an african grey that always seek for petting, and make sweet voice like uuuuu, but hey I was around 8-9 year old at that time and dont know anything about hookbill, it is then given to my uncle who is also a bird lover because we have to travel for a very long time.
Oliver and Justin

yea i got a sharpie

ahahahahaa
-Justin
Poochletty

Post by Poochletty »

It has been my experience that all of our pets seem to bond with family members of the opposite sex. (Just like children.) It usually works out to be "Mommy's Boy" and "Daddy's Girl". Perhaps it is good you have a female. I agree... Olivia is such a nice name. Heehee! I think you'll be happy with a girl once you get over your initial shock and denial.