the fids got a night-time visitor

Moderator: Mods

ambros1a

the fids got a night-time visitor

Post by ambros1a »

Last week, we were woken up at 3:30 in the morning, by what sounded like something murdering the fids. Screaming and squawking, wings flapping, completely freaked out. We both go running into their room and youll never believe what we saw... a freaking possum in their room!!!
He must have come in through the windows the fids dont have flyscreen on their windows, and we have been opening the blinds at night to let some cool air through. Now, here in Australia, theyre natives, so there goes the option of poisoning, all i can do is catch and relocate him somewhere else... but has to be within his 'breeding grounds' which means the lil bugger will prolly come straight back, lol.
After chasing him out, and trying to relax the fids, it was pretty much 4am... They were so scared, ive never heard those noises coming from them before, it damn near gave me a heart attack. but ive learnt... no more rockmelon (cantaloupe?) in their cage overnight. By time we chased him out, and checked out the room to make sure it was alright for them to go back in, we discovered the smell... day old rockmelon i forgot to take it out, lol, harsh way to learn.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:shock: Haha, yep, the fruit would of attracted it in your home. Those possoms are scary!! Sure that wasnt the possum growling? Have you heard them growl? Especially when breeding, they always scare me when I hear them in the middle of the night, sounds like something getting murdered. Luckily we only hear ducks quaking in the creek out back here. But we must of have a breeding ground in our old house. Only thing you can do is relocate it, but your house might be its home? lol.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

yea.. that noise they make... thats the one wed tell the *foreigners/visitors* was the noise that a dropbear makes right before it lands on some1's head, that its a warning sound.. shoulda heard them freak hearing them after that! haha
But, no, it was definately the scream of the fids, coz they didnt stop for a good 5-10 mins AFTER we got the possum out of the house. Im sure the neighbours woke up too hahaha, oh well :D the joys of living next door to some1 with fids :D (my fids are still quieter than their kids.. or the childcare centre on the other side of them haha)
Btw.. u havent moved recently have u? lol coz my dad just moved some1 in melb with 2 gorgeous ringnecks, and he was gushing over their irn's purdy ring. cept i think he said they had lovvies and tiels too (lovvies apparently bit off tiel's feet, evil buggers they are) and ringnecks go all the other fids. Dad said he never knew what a vicious streak they had, till i reminded him of babys bite, she once got him good, fair on the nose, drew blood, and brought tears to the eyes too, baby got no sunflower seeds THAT day lol.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Too funny! Dropbears.. I seem to remember those from primary school.
Poor birdies! Atleast they can wake you.. and the neighbours up if ever anything wrong. :wink:
No, we havnt moved yet. :cry: We've only got a week left here and we still cant find another house to rent. Soo looks like mum will have a full house! (sigh) Shes not a birdy person, so the poor birdies wont be out much. Mum hates the mess they make and the poops and the noise. :roll:
Oh the look on someones face when they get bitten by a parrot. I find it somewhat.. hilarious.. it might be a little wrong.. but I keep telling people don't touch the birdies!, but no.. 'Look at the cute lil birdy, I want to pet it'... MUNCH! hahaha :twisted: They make the toughest men cry! Jibby once bit my ex's tongue (he was giving Jibby rasberries which I told him not too) he latched onto that tongue with full force.. and wouldnt let go, it was a real bloodbath. I felt a little bad, but then I laughed.
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats way too funny!
Ive taken to answering the 'will it bite me' question with 'if he wants to'
lol most people back off at that idea, i tell em i gotta hand the bird to them that way if i see an inclination to bite i can swiftly remove the beak from small young fleshy children lol. besides then u got a screaming kid PLUS if ur unlucky, a screaming parent lmao.
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Thats really annoying.. I hate it when unwanted visitor visit your place..
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

possums scare the s##t outta me we have always lived in the bush and one night i woke up to a scratching on my door and loud pervert breathing i ran from my room to the main house screaming thinking some dirty old pervert was trying to get me when dad went up to check it was a massive possum :lol:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

alana8819 wrote:possums scare the s##t outta me we have always lived in the bush and one night i woke up to a scratching on my door and loud pervert breathing i ran from my room to the main house screaming thinking some dirty old pervert was trying to get me when dad went up to check it was a massive possum :lol:

Sorry but that was too funny lol.

I can just see an irrate dad protecting his little girl from a "pervert" then is greeted by a cute furry possum :P

:)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Thats funny! Possums are cute innocent looking animals, but sound like murderous monsters of the dark at night.
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

guys you remind me of the movie 'ice age'... Lol
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

giantfoot_truck wrote:guys you remind me of the movie 'ice age'... Lol

I love that movie!! Seen it like a billion times :P

:)
Lene

Post by Lene »

Wow, Ambros... I can understand why your birds got a fright... I would have as well, especially being so unexpected.
Cheers

Lene