Newbie needing advice.

Moderator: Mods

Xirtet

Newbie needing advice.

Post by Xirtet »

Hi. I thought long and hard before I choose a IRN. From the many different types of birds.
I am now struggling with the choice of cage to pick from
1 80x62x157 cm. Open at top.
2 80x52x178 cm . Flat on top. Good for a play stand to be added.
Please help me all info would be great help.
Get different info each time in contact a retailer.
Many thanks.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Newbie needing advice.

Post by ringneck »

I would get the cage that is flat on the top and I'll tell you why. Ringnecks are highly messy creatures. I found in the past when I had cages that had bars that crossed, mess easily accumulated and scrubbing was a chore. Not only that, the hinges also collected food particles, feces, and feathers.

If you have a cage that has 6 large sides, with minimal crossing bars, then clean up is usually a breeze as you can take soap and water and scrub in the direction of the bars.

Also, I would take the cage that's the largest as well. Remember, these birds are highly active and will make use of every bit of extra space. For example, many ringnecks will just open their wings and flap them to exercise. The cage should be large enough so that the bird may flap its wings, hang upside down, or turnaround without touching any bars. Also, I might add ringnecks have rather large tales.

A great sign that a cage is too small is if the ringnecks tail continually bends or breaks. Though it's true it can be from accidental panic attacks, where the bird thrashes about, I find that in most cases the main culprit of the damage to the tail is due to a small cage.

Also, if you have two--I would at least double the space.

Best wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
sanjays mummi

Re: Newbie needing advice.

Post by sanjays mummi »

I agree, Sanjay has a Liberta Raleigh, the largest cage available for indoors, living in a flat, it fits nicely into an alcove, furthermore, my late husband was able to attach a UV light and play gym to it's flat roof, Sanjay can actually fly around inside, it's quite tall, so being just over 5 ft tall, I have to stand on something to clean the roof bars, but his happiness comes first.