Pregnancy and Birds....

Moderator: Mods

ElliottsMomma

Pregnancy and Birds....

Post by ElliottsMomma »

So...my husband and I are trying for baby #2 and I was curious about a few things. My husband took Elliott to the vet for his first visit and asked the vet if birds pose a threat to pregnant women. His answer was no, but he said that pregnant women should limit their contact with birds and not do any of the cage cleaning. Does anyone know why that is? I can understand not cleaning the cage because of handling the bird waste but why limit my contact with him?? Has anyone here been pregnant while they had their birds?
Donna

Post by Donna »

I have no idea why your vet would say that. I would personally ask him what he meant.

All I can say is the bird is going to pick up on all your hormonal changes and probably have behavior changes but if you give him the same amount of attention before the baby and after the birth there shouldn't a big problem. The problems come after the baby arrives home and bird is second fiddle to this new thing that makes funny noises and sometimes smells bad. LOL :wink:

Best of luck Keep us posted

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
nil

Post by nil »

my wife brought into world a healthy baby before 2 months.
Not only she lived in a house with 11 parrots but also handfeeded two of them and everything is ok.
Our doctors dont said something like yours and i dont agree with him.
You must avoid wild and maybe new birds, not yours ( i suppose they are healthy of coarse) not even your bird wastes.
Only a routine hygiene procedure is enough, not only for your birds but all in all
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

I am planning on calling the vet on Monday. I couldn't take Elli so my husband went in with a list of questions I had and he didn't think to ask for a reason why!! I am going to ask my dr too when I see her next month.
Elliott is very healthy and the vet said he looks very very good. He has been with us for about 3 months or so, but before that he as in a nursery at the pet store and the vet even said that is a very good store and he hasn't seen any sick birds from them.
I am not going to be one of those people that puts the bird on the back burner. He is a part of the family, just like everyone else. Plus, I will have my husband and my son that will pay attention to the baby and give me time for the birdie!!
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

contact with the bird should be fine but you shouldnt clean the cage as bird poo is like cat poo and can cause toxoplasmosis which can result in still births and mental retardation. good luck with conceiving :D
nil

Post by nil »

you shouldnt clean the cage as bird poo is like cat poo and can cause toxoplasmosis which can result in still births and mental retardation

Are you sure about that, alana ?because my vet told me that birds are safe for toxoplasma.
The main problem is the cats poo (after 1 or more days)
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

yep my doctor told me
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

check out www.bubhub.com.au its a forum for pregnancy kids etc they have everything there are some fantastic people on there who are very helpful :D
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i am 4 mths preg and i asked my midwife that same question she said its fine the bird cant do any harm i clean the cage and still shower with Amazon, i swear Amazon can hear the baby's heart he sit on my leg with his foot on my tummy and holds me tight:)

Good luck
Sharlene and Amazon