Is a ringneck right for us?

Moderator: Mods

BezilsGirl

Is a ringneck right for us?

Post by BezilsGirl »

Ok, I have a question- before I get one I need to ask people who would know. I have bird experience but this one would not be for me it would be for my grandmother. She lives in a nursing home up the road from my family. (I'm 23, my parents are in their 50's we all go to visit often- my dad everyday in fact). Her beloved parakeet just died and she's heartbroken. I want to get her something different, longer-lived (I'll become the caregiver if he outlives her). But would it be ok if the parrot gets LOTS of attention but not much "hands-on" attention? Old grandma's not to sure of herself anymore and doesn't like to hold the birds anymore. She'll clean the cage to death, and change food and water hundreds of times a days and sing and talk to him all the day long. She just won't let him/her on her hand. I can do it when I go up, but I don't go everyday. Is that enough attention? Everyone in the family wants her to get another bird (and she wants one as well) but most of the "hands-on" is left to me. They don't want to get bitten or anything. I'm afraid she'll outlive a finch, and she's DEVESTATED about this bird! She's a former nurse and caring for something gives her something to get up for in the morning and do all day. Like I said, the bird will get plenty of attention- IN the cage, but how often will he/she need to be out? I know my cockatoo is like glued to me when I'm home. Would this be a good match? Or another kind? Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!
-Heather Stotz
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i would say probably not they do prefer to be out of the cage they are also quiet loud so the other people in the home may not appreciate it. what if you tried a dove :D
Lene

Post by Lene »

Also one or two cockatiels would be great... If they can't get out of the cage I'd go for two... But if your grandmother have trouble with breathing - like asthma or emphysema - they may not be the best choice due to the dust they have on them.
Cheers

Lene
Donna

Post by Donna »

I would go with a Caiuque or a Parrotlet Very small birds and quite entertaining.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Melika

Post by Melika »

Maybe you could adopt a meanie (a mean one, not that they all are) lovebird or parrotlet? I've known a few birds that never ever wanted to be touched, they preferred interacting with their voices. They LOVED the attention, just didn't want to be touched. I have one, lol.

You'd be giving it the perfect home, as long as you were willing to care for it in the even it outlived your grandmother.

Parrotlets can live quite long.

Lovebirds can have a loud, irritating call though, lol.

An IRN would need attention and raising properly, before it could be handled just a few times a week without regression to a bit of 'wild' behavior.

But, like I said, try a rescue? They might have the perfect match for you, you never know. :D

I'm sorry for your grandmother's budgie. My grandfather was devestated when he lost his cat. :(
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

Last edited by julie on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texbird

Post by texbird »

I think it is GREAT that you are asking before buying.

I agree a pair of cockatiels might be easiest IF she doesnt have allergies or lung problems. The pair would provide each other affection.

Most well raised IRNs DO want human contact - and it would be a shame to get her any bird that craves contact but doesnt get it. Mine wants to be petted about once every 10 minutes it seems.

HOWEVER, In any species of bird you can find an individual bird that does not like to be touched due to lack of contact when young or a history of abuse.

I would contact your closest bird rescue organization and ask them for recommendations - they might be very happy to adopt out a bird that others wont take because it doesnt want to be touched. Would be a win-win for both sides.

Petfinder.com lets you search for local rescue birds.