2 questions!

Moderator: Mods

Oliver and Justin

2 questions!

Post by Oliver and Justin »

ok

First.

I read somewhere today if the males is grey green and the female is turqoise then the baby that is grey green is more likely to be male and the baby that is turqoise is more likely to be female???

Second

Molting

Oliver is on his what i believe is his second molt. He is almost 11 months so is this normal? Cause isnt there a molt like 4-6 months then around year? and so on and so forth.
-Justin
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i'm not sure but cookie moults twice a year from what i've seen he is having a massive moult at the moment feathers everywhere and little pin feathers all over his head. cookie is 13 months old he started moulting lightly in december and now its full on.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Maybe one of the breeder 'experts' can help with the first question, sorry I havnt a clue about genetics and all that. :?

In Jibbys first few years he was moulting twice a year, if I remember correctly, now hes older, he has one big moult a year. Yoda just got over his first moult since we got him in Nov 06. He is almost 16 months old. :shock: He might of lost some down feathers around 6 months, but this is his first big moult! I don't think there is an exact time when the young ones moult (under 2) or is there? :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

ok so this is probably the big molt first molt

caause he didnt lose much feathers around 6 months we he had the stubby butt :D :D
-Justin
skibum

Post by skibum »

definitely 2 moults a year for first 2-3 years, then once a year.
a godsend as it means less clipping!!

Once they grow their ring I think is when it changes. So if female you are still in the dark!!

Can't help with the genetics bit either sorry