new here...cockatiel or IRN??

Moderator: Mods

ti@

new here...cockatiel or IRN??

Post by ti@ »

hi all! i am new here. My name is Tia :D
i am going back to visit the bird store and pick out my new bird but i cant decide which type of parrot i want. i have had a cockatiel and a lovebird before. i didnt really like the lovebird but the cockatiel was great! his name was dimmi and he was the best bird ever(to me).he took showers with me and he would put his head down for me to pet him. he was the greatest bird. i have read and researched about IRNs and they seem to be great birds but i cant decide if i should get a cockatiel or an indian ringneck. The ones they have at the bird store are little baby birds and they are blue but the lady at the store said they arent very nice. help please?

thanxx
Tia
Donna

Post by Donna »

Let the bird pick you. Go play with both of them and see which one reacts to you the best. In my opinion they are both great little birds to have as a pet but pick the one that seems to want your attention.

Good luck let us know which one chose you :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

In my honest opinion, if you didn't like your lovie then you may be better with a 'tiel....

Was the lovebird hand or parent raised?

What was it about the lovebird you didn't like? That he/she was feisty/demanding/noisy? I have both a lovie and an IRN and this describes them both beautifully!!! but that suits me fine.

If you have had a cockatiel before and loved it... go with another tiel but as Donna said each bird is different, keep that in mind when you look at all of them and also allow any other breed to take your heart, our birds pick us, not the other way around

:roll: :lol: 8)
-Chamon-

catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

I have seven tiels and two ringies....so obviously I would say to get both! Seriously, it all depends what you want from the bird and what you will be able to give it. Have you thought about checking local rescues and internet boards -- I see four or five tiels and two ringnecks on petfinder.com and perharbor.com right in my neighborhood, so there may be plenty where you are as well. Good luck in your search; we will look forward to meeting your new bird(s) :D
MCS
ti@

Post by ti@ »

thanx a lot guys! my bird definately picked me! but it wasnt a cockatiel or an IRN. it was a little baby sun conure :D
he is so sweet and calm and loves to be with me. he hates it when i put him down. he acts A LOT like my tiel did. he isnt ready to come home yet but soon he will be home. i cant wait to see him again! im so excited(as you can probabely tell) :lol:
thanx guys. all of you helped a lot :wink:
ti@

name??

Post by ti@ »

now i need a name! does anyone have any name suggestions?
at first i was thinking of naming him Bits because he is so small but now i am thinking of naming him Boo. he is sweet, calm,and doesnt scream unless he is frightened or when he is with his brother. he loves to be petted and held. i hope this helps in choosing a name for him
thanxx :wink:
nil

Post by nil »

congratulations for your new baby :)
I like boo, its agree with his character
ti@

Post by ti@ »

thanx nil :wink:
i like the name ducky too but boo seems to fit him really well so i'll most likely choose boo. but i'm still open to suggestions :P
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Ti@

Congratulations on your Sun Conure... I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. I find the Suns to be extremely affectionate. In fact Charlie (Sun) is the only bird I fully trust with my grand children.
Cheers

Lene
ti@

Post by ti@ »

okay, i have decided to name him/her Kiyoke(kee-yo-kee)....its some kindof asian name that i really like. it's a girl name but i dont really care :lol:
something still confuses me though :roll:
the people at the bird store said that he and his brother are just babies-which im sure they would know because they hand-fed them since they were hatched-but my baby sun is mostly yellow with a little bit of green and blue at the very end of his tail and wings. i keep reading that the feathers on his back and wings should be green but his are yellow. he looks to be a baby and he doesnt have a long tail at all but his coloring confuses me. most sun conures i've seen are mostly orange or green but he is mostly yellow...i'm not sure if he even has orange on him. is there something wrong with his coloring :?:
ti@

Post by ti@ »

FALSE ALARM! :lol: nothing is wrong with his coloring...he is 6 months old and moulting :roll:

i just got him home today and he acts a lot different than he did a week ago when i went to visit him at the bird store. i'm actually wondering if they mixed up my bird with the one they gave me :?:
the bird that i saw a week ago was sweet and loved to be held and petted and would step up without biteing. but this little chicken that i got is completely opposite :(
he doesnt even let me pick him up or pet him. he runs away from me or bites down on my finger(but not too hard).he likes to get my finger in his mouth and lick it...? i have no clue why he does this. he seems to really not like me. also...do sun conure's feathers change color in just 1 week? because my little orange/yellow/green/blue chicken has a lot more orange on him and a little less yellow. man, i hope they didn't switch my bird :cry:
julie

Post by julie »

you will have to give him a chance to settle in, he has been taken away from his comfort zone and possibly the only place he knows. you need to win his trust first.
ti@

Post by ti@ »

thanks julie. he is settling in well and he is calmer around me. he even fell asleep next to me while i was watching TV! he is'nt too nippy but it sometimes hurts when he is getting ready to climb on to my hand and he uses his beak to pull him up but i know he isn't trying to hurt me. he isn't calm around other people in my house except me. he usually bites them or squawks loudly. he lets me pet him now too. he really hates to be away from his cage though; i guess he feels it's his only safe place.
julie

Post by julie »

when he steps up say step up ,after a while they get to know what step up means and when you say it they jump onto your hand rather than try to pull them selfs up.