Smelly Bird HELP!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Smelly Bird HELP!

Post by Lauren »

Do they smell different during a moult? Do old feathers smell? Do pin feathers smell? Jibby's being super cuddly today and while cuddling into my nose, I noticed the top of Jibby's head (which is moulting heavily, pins everywhere) smells different from the usual nice birdy smell. Usually he smells fruity fresh! But the only word I can describe this smell is.. a bit sour.
I gave him egg and shell yesterday, he baths every second day or so, I just cant find anything on bird smells! :(
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

cookie smells to me sometimes but not to anyone else maybe your senses are more heightened at the moment :D
Melika

Post by Melika »

I... don't know! D:

Hane is grumpy during a moult so I don't put my face near him! I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. :?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

has he had anything like garlic or chili ? Maybe get some aloe Vera juice that some people have recommended, it would help with him molting and has a clean smell to it too.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx for the idea! Do you know where I could get some Aloe Vera?
Don't think hes ever had any garlic or chilli. :? Not sure if he'd even touch chilli. He such a fussy food eater. hehe. I'll give him a good wiff today and see what he smells like today. haha.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

I think aloe is sold at health food shops, my mum drinks it and it is feral. Its supposed to be really good for moulting birds because it helps to relieve the itching.
Briony

Post by Briony »

can birds eat aloe like straight from a plant if they like it?
Melika

Post by Melika »

Briony wrote:can birds eat aloe like straight from a plant if they like it?

Yep. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

My cockatiel smells bad the first day she was brought home, probably because she has never taken bath at petstore before, so I gave her shower until she almost got drowned, lol just kidding!
:lol:
And now she smells really good!

Oh wait.. I guess thats not what you are asking for..

Anyway did your Jibby got rid of his "bad" smell?