What do i do?

Moderator: Mods

Marsha

What do i do?

Post by Marsha »

Hi. i need some help. i got two female IRN's around 7 months, 3 days ago. Is it ok to pick them up? When we do though they either fly into a corner of the cage or bite. They bite real bad. What do i do? do i leave them alone for a week or something? How many times a day do they need their fruits and veggies? how often do u give them a bath?
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

start handling straight away they bite hard you have to ignore it i put a bath out for cookie every second day and he gets fruit and vege every day. they will bite hard and be scared for a little while they have to learn to trust you which can take a long time just have patience have they been handled before where did you get them from?
Melika

Post by Melika »

Most people have good success giving a lot of veggies and fruits in the morning (sunrise) and giving seeds/pellets in the late afternoon.

You can give them a few days to settle in, since they're a little older and this is all new for them. Just hang out and talk to them- give them treats through the bars from your fingers. Once they come to your hand for the treat, you can begin work on stepping-up.

Is it possible you will separate them in the future? They can still come out and play together, but would have different cages. It is possible that they will begin to fight in the future and will need separate cages anway. Sometimes separating them can also help with the taming process.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

My dad took them out of the cage in his hands and while he holds them, one bites but not quite hard and continuosly. the other one when picked up is out to mutilate his fingers. no one can take the pain. right now they are in one cage. a friend suggested we separte them in two diff. cages. my dad is thinking of giving the agressive one away. they will not come anywhere close to our hands. they sit outside their cage most of the day and the less- aggressive one does venture around the sitting room or jump onto the plants in the house. we got them frm a small little petshop. Oh and they do fight with each other. the less agressive one named Rae normally pecks at Maia ( the really aggressive birdie). It's only been four days since i 've had them but i love them alot already, and am going to ask dad if u would consider getting another cage for Maia instead of giving her away. :roll:
freaky

Post by freaky »

when the start to bite, no speak, dont scream, dont do anything other then keep pushing your finger towards them, if they wont let go gently place your thumb on the top of their beak, it makes mine let go.

keep at it for 10-15minutes at a time. it hurts but it does work.
mine drew blood a few times, but after 2 or 3 days he stopped biting and stepped up.

as soon as they step up, reward them, make a fuss, they soon learn it gets them a response.

making any fuss when they bite teaches them to bite. i can pick mine up, my wife can, and 2 of my kids can. my last kid makes a fuss every time and gets bittern every time.
Lene

Post by Lene »

Start clicker training and avoid all bites.
Cheers

Lene
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

Whats clicker training? they are still afraid of my hand!!!they will not come close even when i have food on it! Should i like take one out of the cage hold it firmly in my hand while it pecks away and stroke it's head or something?
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

Can i use gloves?
julie

Post by julie »

Are your birds in the same cage?
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

Yup. still thinking of giving one away. can't keep two cages in small house.