Second hand cages

Moderator: Mods

Clare

Second hand cages

Post by Clare »

I just bought a nice big parrot cage second hand for only $60, in excellent condition, in the hope of getting an Alexandrine. But I have just thought about any diseases that could be spread. We have disinfected the cage.

Does anyone know of parrot disease that can spread with the cage. I am not sure if we should use it now.
Fah

Post by Fah »

When I am truely paranoid I do the basic scrub down with a general disinfectant that you might use around the house. Then rinse it down with clean water. Then damp a cloth with vinegar (just plain old cheap vinegar) and go over the entire thing. Then lastly hit it with Aritopet cage cleaner spray (very cheap.. no more than $15 for about 500ml which will last for ages) that targets everything you could possibly be paranoid about.

Shouldnt be any problem at all is you follow something like that.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Anytime you introduce something new to your bird, it should always be cleaned very well.

I would do a COMPLETE tear-down and scrub...

Imagine if the bird that owned the cage first had Beak and Feather Disease?

Ok... that should prompt you enough. :lol:
julie

Post by julie »

vetafarm has a pretty good avian disinfectant . good luck with the alex, have you located one yet? let me know if you would like the number of the breeder I got mieka from, I can freight it to you if you like It costs $70 for freight.
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I would do a bleach clan and rinse thoroughly, twice. Then let it dry and rinse again. I never use bleach except on my initial clean of a new cage, makes me feel safer. :wink:
-Chamon-

Clare

Post by Clare »

Thanks for the advice. We completely scrubbed and disinfected it when we got it home and will do it again before a bird moves in.

Thanks for the offer Julie, however we have to get one locally.

After I got my first IRN, my boyfriend wanted one too and wanted blue, so i got one for him when i was on holiday because there were none locally, only it hates him and won't go near him and is completely in love with me. She follows me everywhere and waits by the window when i go out and calls for scratches every morning.

So now the Alex will be his and we have to get one that likes him becuase the IRN's don't :lol: