She hates baths

Moderator: Mods

sarrant

She hates baths

Post by sarrant »

What are some good ways to give your IRN a bath? mine hates water all together.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

How have you tried to bath your bird?
Some like showers, some baths in their own little tubs, some like just water on a plate to jump in and slash around and some just like to be misted with a spray bottle. Just depends on the bird.
Some suggestions.. leave some water on a plate or bowl nearby. They sometimes just take a while to take the first dip. You can also get shower perches that attach to the wall or window, maybe try teaching your bird to sit on the perch while you have a shower. So he/she can watch. Sometimes it just takes someone else to show them that it can be enjoyable! Another one is you could try misting and then offer a treat or reward afterwoulds.
It took my 1 year old a few weeks of watching my older bird and myself have baths/showers before he had his first bath. Once he got in, he hasnt gone a day without having a bath I dont think! and he now insists on going to the shower with me too.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane hated water inside, so I put him outside in a morning ahower once (with the option to get to cover) and he loved it! So then I tried the hose outside- and he loved that too! That's the only way he'll bathe. Most birds tend to prefer cooler water, others don't care at long as it's wet.

Tsume will bathe in the sink. My sister takes Tsume with her to wash his water dish so he bacame used to the sound and activity at the sink and isn't afraid of it. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

Indie like to have a bath in a martini glass (with water in it). He started off just perching on the side and then he full on started bathing in it. And for some weird reason the vaccum cleaner makes him want to bath .
BigChicken

bath time...

Post by BigChicken »

I have found playing with the water with my fingers gets some of our guys going, the glass of water trick works for others, and some like to bathe when they see a slow stream if water into my cupped hands.
I can’t believe you posted that Julie, all of our birds start to bathe as soon as the vacuum cleaner goes on!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yep, my 2 dive into water when the vacuum goes on too, very odd. Might have some luck just turning on a vacuum. :lol:
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

Lou digs the vaccuum too! :) silly fid.
Anyway he hates the sink but will tolerate the shower.
~the stubborn one~
Craig

Post by Craig »

I have Skitty sharing an "aviary" (8'x8'x4', outside my bedroom with sliding glass doors) with a Nanday Conure (Isis) and to provide a little something extra, I installed several 2gph misters on the outside of the cage, adjustable to increase/decrease the amount of mist that actually makes it inside. Skitty climbs up to the top of the cage and spreads her wings like an eagle, getting very much wet and happy. She dips her head and flutters about. Isis, however, avoids that and instead uses a hanging 12" water dish like a wading pool, and splashes around like a little kid.

Each bird seems to be different.

:)
Craig
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

she is just terrified of everything that you show her to. the shower scares her. bowls of water scare her. even little stream of water from a faucet scares her. all she wants to do is run up onto my shoulder.
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

mabye she is not used to everything yet and not confident to take a bath in an unfamiliar object

Mine had to get used to the shower before he wanted to take a showe . :]

hope this helps
-Justin
Melika

Post by Melika »

sarrant wrote:she is just terrified of everything that you show her to. the shower scares her. bowls of water scare her. even little stream of water from a faucet scares her. all she wants to do is run up onto my shoulder.

Perhaps you can hop into the shower with a t-shirt on and her on your shoulder until she gets used to it. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

Indie used to sit on the shower recess and just watch at first, then he started flapping ect and wanted to get wet.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

well i put the perch on the sink while i took a shower just to see how she would do in the bathroom with the noise and such, she did fine for about 5 minutes and then i looked at her and she started breathing real hard. so i hurried and took her out.
if you put a bowl in front of her and hold it there for 10 minutes she will act like shes taking a bath but will only get her head wet if even that.
julie

Post by julie »

When she gets her head wet does she flick her head and does she have her wings up? Where are you located, if it is winter where you are she may not be that into bathing because its getting cold.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Any time I had a shower, I'd take them in with me. They started off by just sitting on the top of the screen and watching. After a few weeks, Yoda then started reaching over to the water. And now, he insists on having a shower even when I'm not even going to the bathroom. He tells me when its time for a shower! :lol: Jibby prefers his water bucket to the shower.
Just give it a little time and keep showing her it can be fun to get soaked! :D