Wing Clipping???

Moderator: Mods

Aldeleen

Wing Clipping???

Post by Aldeleen »

My kid is just about over one year old and i have to do a wing clipping ... he has escaped previously and i almost lost him for good- it was only a miracle that i someone found him..i clipped his wings when he was only 3 months old... but they have grown back-- i found all the short feathers around the house...
I have to Clipp them asap-- he is capable now of hovering over my head and fly from curtain rail to curtain with ease--- but now i dont know-- he is now a confident flyer and he knows that he can fly!! he has tested them very well and i can see that he lOVES IT (OBVIOUSLY)!!
What is the best now-- only one wing clipped or both? i dont know? i dont want him to hurt himself by attempting to fly and then he just falls??

One wing or Both?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I love seeing them fly freely. You are very lucky to have him back. But its good to keep them clipped when young and untrained.

Always clip both wings. Its a must. Clipping only one will put the bird off balance and can cause serious injuries due to free falling to the ground instead of gently gliding to the ground. Both wings clipped means, stability and control. It should only take the ability to gain height. It also makes them run out of energy faster because they have to work harder to fly. :wink:

My 1 year olds wings have almost grown back too and need to be clipped. But its so hard to take away something they were born to do! Especially when my older one hasnt been clipped in years. :( I hate doing it but its really for the birds wellbeing. I am going to have to gather some strength soon to do it.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Aldeleen

Post by Aldeleen »

Thank you so much for your relpy---

Ok i will clipp both wings then... shame yes the little bugger will just have to get use to it-- i just can go through another ordeal with him and then losing him forever... The thought gives the the shivers.
I am probably putting it of because i feel so sorry that i have to limit his flight! But i know that it is for the best and all i want is the best for him!!
I do have a manual with instructions, will doit this afternoon then!

A question, you say your older one's wing have not been clipped in years!?
How did you get him trained like that and why he doesnt fly away--?

Also im assuming that you only had the one and then got the baby later.. how long was the introductory preiod and does the older one get along with the newest member?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I've had Jibby for 7 years. He was a few months old when I got him and he was an angel from the beginning. :D He's not really an adventurous one and sticks to what he knows. Thats just his personality. He was clipped the first few years. But the last couple of years we've let him fly. I've taught him to come to me using a tool.. his bell. I ring the bell and he comes flying to me. I just figured out something he wants and used it to my advantage, and he LOVES his bell. Even though he can fly he still likes to ride on my shoulder. Hes always been tame and pretty 'laid back'. Still, there is that thought that he might make an escape. I am excessively cautious with open doors and windows! I mean, excessively! Especially with Yoda now around too!
There was one incident with a guest we had over. My partners father opened the balcony doors without thinking of Jibby. I was in another room at this time. I came in the room and Jibby was just sitting at the door, just looking outside like he was summing up what to do! As soon as Jibby saw me he flew straight to my shoulder. :wink: I get so angry at guests who open doors and windows!

November last year we got Jibby a friend. Yoda. I got another IRN because I thought he might want a bird friend of his own kind. He never got along with the tiels we had when he was young.
I slowly introduced them over a few weeks for an hour or 2 a day. Jibby knew there was another bird in the house and insisted on waiting at the spare room door where I had baby Yoda. He was soooo excited. They get along, but Yoda is the boss and sometimes I have to 'intervene'. Today I caught them eating together, side by side in Jibbys cage. Very odd as Yoda normally is aggressive around food. So I'm very happy about that!

Ok, I could go on about my 2.. hehe.. sorry.
Melika

Post by Melika »

If it makes it easier to clip, remember that they grow back. ^_^

I wait for our birds to finish moulting before clipping, so they get a couple of weeks of flight. They enjoy it, but they enjoy the freedom they get with clipped wings much more. Sounds weird, but if their wings weren't clipped they couldn't go in the backyard (6 ft fence) or be out on their playstand in the house (doors opening all day here).

Every time I open the newspaper and look at the Lost and Found sections I am reminded of why I clip my bird's wings.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

both wings.
i can't stress that enough.
my first IRN only had one wing clipped and he got away never to be seen again.

i have been using this method, it works quite well

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww64eii.htm
Adam and Dude
Aldeleen

Post by Aldeleen »

HEHEHEH Pi-ko hates it when i touch his wings GHRRRR GHRRR he growls!! I just say-- i just want to see, i just want to see!!But ya, he took of with NO WINGS CLIPPED!! So you can imagine how far he got! They are such good flyers and man did i learn the hard way!!! Thx for the link-- i used it!! i try and get as much info as possible about all topics before i do something!! dont want to be uneducated!! But i need a hand, cos Pikkels will bite me broken if i try and do the clipping by myself!!!

Hane is such a beauty!! WHOOO The colour!! i love taking pictures of my boy!!! he's just interested in biting the camera!!! makes for some cute pic's though!!!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Good on you for researching beforehand. :D It is handy to have someone help clip or hold Pi-ko for you. They can be a little upset and angry, but soon get over it once its done. :wink:

Oh, we love pics! *Hint hint* hehe.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Thanks! :o Hane says you're a pretty bird too!

Yeah, our clipping is a two person operation. I taught my sister how to hold a toweled bird and I do the clipping. I used to clip my budgies by myself... but IRNs have much bigger beaks!

So if you can find someone who is gentle and unafraid of your bird, you can teach him/her how to towel Pi-ko, which is very helpful!

And, since you aren't having to clip AND handle the bird, it makes for a cleaner clip. ^_^

It's tricky, since you don't want to squeeze the bird in the towl, so gentle is important. Birds don't have diaphragms (the breathing muscle) so they have to expand their chest to breathe properly. My sister sort of forms a cage with her fingers so the bird can't move (they try backing out too!) while I gain access to a wing. Never extend the wing by holding the feathers- that's uncomfortable for them. Sometimes, if the bird is tense, you have to move the wing very slowly. You want to extend the wing when the muscles are relaxed as possible. And always check for bloodfeathers if they've recently grown in their feathers. That's part of the reason I let our birds fly for a bit after moulting. :)

It may take a few tries before you're both comfortable with the method and sure of yourselves. Once you're both set, clipping is an easy chore. ^^

And we don't talk (unless we have to, but we'll speak quietly if we do) when the bird is toweled, and we stay calm. Thus the bird stays calm as well. When we're done, we "rescue" the bird and give lots of attention. They're most compliant and friendly immediately following a wing clip, LOL!

I hope that wasn't too confusing. o_O;
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay