Just one problem after another

Moderator: Mods

Artiesmom

Just one problem after another

Post by Artiesmom »

Now it seems that if I even get close to him he takes off.. He has a playgym on top of his cage and if he is up there, he climbs down and runs to get away from me. I have not even tried to get him to step up. All I am doing at this point is talking to him. He is acting scared of me and I don't understand why. I have a sun conure that if I am interacting with her, Artie will come over and watch us. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks!!
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

just give it time, dont speak too loudly or make sudden quick movements artie will get used to you it just takes time some birds more than others cookie didnt interact with us for a good month or so have you tried giving him fruit if he wont let you near him put the fruit on the gym or somewhere he likes to play and can see you placing food trust me once they realise you have food you cant get rid of them :roll:
julie

Post by julie »

I would be sitting there eating the food in front of him :D that gets their attention.
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

It certainly takes time, a calm soft voice and patience. Don't give up, Mojito has been with us for 4 months and she adores my hubby, but she does still proceed with caution and a little distrust. She wants to trust so badly, but she has such a shady past that it will take awhile. We have decided that it doesn't matter if she never fully trusts us, at least she will know she is safe.

I think sometimes, if they at least know that much, it helps. When approaching him, try not to think about how badly you want him to connect. Just keep telling yourself that he is accepted no matter what happens. He will read your body language from this process.

Good Luck
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Get as close to him as possible, then stay there, talk, hold out treats, making kissing noises and tell him about things, let him get use to you being that close. Next time get closer, (if this means placing your hand further into the cage) stay there and again talk to him. Soon enough he will realise you are not coming to hurt him, each time you come you make nice noises and offer food, then leave him alone again.

Playing with the other bird is good, this will show him even more you can be trusted. Before long curiosity will get the better of him and he will realise you and your sun are his new flock.

I had a wild female with my tame male. She would go belistik every time I tried to clean out their huge cage. Nothing I could do, she had to stay in the cage and I needed to clean it out. Before long the fear of me going in to clean out the cage stopped. She got use to the fact that all Idid when I went in was make the cage clean and leave behind fresh foods and water. She also saw that Kai didnt care about me being in there. she soon ended up coming down close and watching me clean, and before long she even took treats from my hand. Step up never happened and really for this female I didn't want it to happen, as she was to be the breeder, and a tame female doesn't make a very good breeder. But you get the picture.

Time teaches, just persist and give it time. Just keep trying and the trust will come.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Artiesmom

Thanks for all the advice

Post by Artiesmom »

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will keep you posted on Artie's progress. Hopefully he will come around. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. Thanks again!!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

julie wrote:I would be sitting there eating the food in front of him :D that gets their attention.

I did that with Yoda. After a week, he was practically eating out of my hand. :lol:

You have an advantage with your sun conure. They learn alot from already settled birds. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year