Boo my new IRN

Moderator: Mods

heathmcc

Boo my new IRN

Post by heathmcc »

I have rehomed a year old blue IRN. "Boo" will come out of his cage and climb around on it, but he doesn't want to be too close to us. When we walk up to the cage he quickly goes to the other side. He will not step up on a finger, but did step up on a perch. He flew off very quickly and glided to the floor. He broke a couple of blood feathers I can't get him to go back in the cage on his own.
Heather Mccall
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Good to see you here! Welcome
MCS
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Welcome to the forum. Just give Boo some time to settle in. I recently acquired a Female *Mojito* 3.5 months ago and she was pretty scared. Patience and a soft spoken Husband brought her around. She slowly lets him touch her and does have certain boundaries, but she really is trying.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and Welcome. Give Boo time. He sounds like hes just scared of the new surroundings and humans. Try sitting by the cage and just talking and offering food. Boo will come around. Just have some patience and take small steps. There is no time limit. Goodluck and tell us about the progress. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
heathmcc

Post by heathmcc »

I have been told that we may never be able to tame 1 year old Boo, and that he should have been sold as a breeder. I've been told to give him back to the previous owner,and buy a baby Quaker or Cockatiel so that we can have a bird that could be handled. I love Boo and he is gorgeous. What do you think?
Heather Mccall
Donna

Post by Donna »

I think Boo is still young enough to train. He might not be a hands on cuddle bug but some birds just don't like to be handled. If you love Boo keep trying, once you make a little progress with him you will feel better. I don't think putting him out to breed is always the answer to an unruly bird. If you feel your not up to the challenge thats ok not everybody has the patients it takes to tame a bird, but instead of making him a breeder rehome him to someone that has the experience and time. :D

Good Luck

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Fah

Post by Fah »

I honestly dont think you will have a hard time retraining a year old Indian. I have had young birds that I had to put in aviary environments with its wild parents that I have pulled out and 2 months later had a very tame (if not a little cautious) pet bird to be placed in a new home :D

As cooky as it might seem... "good vibes" help alot. Thinking positive "you cutie ARE going to be fluffy and cuddly aren't you!" etc... think it strongly as well as BE it strongly... and you will have a bird that is reassured by your confidence...

Indians are smart... quite smart birds. They pick up on body language.. tone... looks... movements even from flicks of your wrist have been known to sway even cranky birds of mine.

Be confident in everything you do with it and never ever hesitate. The bird will soon follow :D

Good luck and I do hope you stick with it if you have the time and patience :D
heathmcc

Post by heathmcc »

Thanks for the encouragement! I had a heart to heart with my 8 y.o. son, and he said he loves Boo and doesn't want any other bird. He wants us to tame him. One lady told me to towel Boo and to hold him close and that would help to tame him. Everytime I put my hand anywhere near him he flies all around the cage and that's how he broke blood feathers. For now we are just talking softly to him and hoping he gets use to us being around the cage.
Heather Mccall
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Its *hard* working with an older bird but sooo rewarding. I would give it at least 6 months before deciding on anything.

These guys dont come around easy, but they always come around and when they do, they are wonderful!

I admire you for not buying a baby and stepping up and training an older bird. That does take a lot of work but you seem up to the challenge.

Just have your lil boy talk to the bird and hang out with him while he games, plays, at anytime they can be together and supervised.

Curiousity gets the best of ringnecks and thats what makes them take the turn :!:
~ Mikaela Sky