Few questions regarding IRN recently given to me

Moderator: Mods

navieko

Few questions regarding IRN recently given to me

Post by navieko »

Hi everyone,

Just the other day I was given an IRN by a guy I was doing a job for. I noticed the bird in a tiny cage outside his unit with bugger all to play with (just a single stick to walk up and down on) with only your generic parrot seeds and water. It was obvious it was being neglected and I could tell it was very timid/anxious to human contact.

I started asking him questions about it which eventually led the guy to offering the bird for me to take if I wanted. Apparently it had only recently been given to him and he obviously didn't know much about their requirements nor had the time/inclination to care for it properly so I was more than happy to accept the offer - if nothing else than for the poor bird's sake.

I've never actually had an IRN before but I do currently have a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and have had various other parrots in the past.

I just want to find out a bit about the type, possible age and sex - as well as anything else you could tell me by looking at a few pictures of my new bird, now named 'Chappie' (previous owner didn't even have a name for him/her).

I've made a fair bit of progress bonding with Chappie but still no where near the level of being able to hold. He/she will now tentatively eat out of my hand or mouth (through the cage) and is becoming quite playful (loves toys) and getting more and more talkative (a lot of quiet but very cute mumbling while playing). So we're making some honest progress but it will take some time.

So yeah please take a look at pics below and let me know what you think.

(please excuse the quality of pics, only had phone to take them with at the moment.)

Cheers,

Navieko
sanjays mummi

Re: Few questions regarding IRN recently given to me

Post by sanjays mummi »

Aww, what a cutie!, not very old I would think, possibly a hen going by the pale ring, although an immature male would not get his collar until 2 years or so. If you have experience that's a plus, you can learn a great deal from these forums, but you will already be aware of diet etc. Thank goodness you came along, it was your chicksters lucky day!
navieko

Post by navieko »

Hey thanks for the info! This morning me and Chappie had a pretty fun session playing with various toys and trying out new foods. I have no doubt she/he is beginning to really look forward to my company and it's only day 3 since I brought Chappie home so definitely making good progress.

Here she (or he) is taking a bath on a hot summer day. I reckon I'm just as lucky I found her! :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6UDweJZ0Oc
(somehow the audio didn't get uploaded properly)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay doesn't get right into the bowl! But, if your bowl is the same size as ours, your bird looks to be an adult.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi and welcome!

Congratulations on your new buddy :) S/he is lucky you came into his/her life. My hen bathes like that in her water bowl, but the bowl is slightly smaller and her tail always ends up pointing at the sky while she is doing it :lol:

As far as age, is he/she moulting at the moment? I noticed s/he has quite a short tail, which may be a sign of being young or could be because she is completing a moult at the moment. At some time around 6 months old young ringnecks have a small moult -body and tail if I remember correctly. They moult once a year after breeding season finishes after that.
Otherwise it can be quite hard to tell the age, unless they develop a ring during a moult... then you know they are male and a couple years old....