chipped beak?

Moderator: Mods

freaky

chipped beak?

Post by freaky »

i had sky out the cage last night and noticed that the end of his beak(about the first 6mm) is a black colour with a pink tinge. the red bit above it looks like it has peeled off. is this normal?

ive stuck a bit of rope in his cage as there was an area he could squeeze his head out of and now all he does is chew it, would this cause the damage to his beak? he has also been displaying a lot lately and banging his beak on any heard surface he can find.

and finally is there anything i could stick on the rope(hemp) to stop him chewing it?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Parrots beaks natural grow and strengthen when young, from soft beak to strong beaks. Like we go through 'teething'. Its best to provide losts of chew toys. A calcium perch is also a good idea. He will rub the beak on lots of hard surfaces through this stage. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
freaky

Post by freaky »

thanks for the reply, just got a little worried there.

he's got plenty of chew toys, ropes, wood, apple wood branches leather straps and my fingers. he's also got a concrete perch he like tapping and dancing on.
Melika

Post by Melika »

And the black bit is normal when they're maturing to adulthood. The bottom part of the beak will go totally black by the time they are mature.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
freaky

Post by freaky »

many thanks, the bit i was worried about went back with horrible looking pink tint to it, this mourning it was its normal red colour.