are your birds flying out of their cages?

Moderator: Mods

nil

are your birds flying out of their cages?

Post by nil »

i have 10 ringnecks as pairs into cages (100*60*180 cm)
they can fly into cages,few but enough for excersise their wings.
my last ringneck, lazaros, now is 6 months,handfeeeded from me and live in a cage inside my house
1 or 2 times per day, for about 1 hour, leave him to fly into rooms.
Lazaros wait the time to fly and ask it for us with no patience.
I dont know if lazaros flying in rooms is safe for him, and if there is any possibilty of injury if he falls on walls.
when he was younger, few times had fall on walls, without any injury.
Now he flies better but some times flies enough quickly and i am afraind if he falls on a wall.
Are you leave your birds fly in rooms?
Is this safe for birds? :?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

My handraised birds were clipped to begin with, this way the became aware of their surroundings first, then I allowed Jordan to regain flight. He is aware of the house and places he shouldn't be but he is never allowed out flying free in the house unless we are here, there are way too many hazards, falling behind things, biting at electrical cords, getting caught in curtains, eating things he shouldn't. etc.

There are always hazards, but monitored time out happens every day for a few hours. They are allowed out in the bird room (we have a dedicated bird room, which is made as safe as possible), even so we are still in the house to hear if they get into trouble as, nothiing is ever totally safe for fids.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Jibby was clipped for the first few years. I don't think I could ever clip him again. He is free to roam the house when I am home (which is most of the day) but he prefers to follow me around everywhere. Hes always been a very cautious bird and sticks to what he knows. Hes also an excellent flyer! Yoda is only 1 year old and is clipped for safety/taming reasons. He/she is very adventurous and I cannot take my eye off Yoda for a second! Always up to no good! We've had some incidents with Yoda.. flying into dirty dish washing sink and bathtub full of water. But I am always there to catch him. They are not allowed out when we are cooking either.. too many risks!

As Angie said, there are always hazards. Keep your eyes open to anything that can harm your baby. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Lauren wrote:Jibby was clipped for the first few years. I don't think I could ever clip him again. He is free to roam the house when I am home (which is most of the day) but he prefers to follow me around everywhere. Hes always been a very cautious bird and sticks to what he knows. Hes also an excellent flyer! Yoda is only 1 year old and is clipped for safety/taming reasons. He/she is very adventurous and I cannot take my eye off Yoda for a second! Always up to no good! We've had some incidents with Yoda.. flying into dirty dish washing sink and bathtub full of water. But I am always there to catch him. They are not allowed out when we are cooking either.. too many risks!

As Angie said, there are always hazards. Keep your eyes open to anything that can harm your baby. :wink:

Amen to all of the above.

I personally choose to clip the first 10 primaries up to the secondaries. That offers little to no lift unless spooked but assures a nice landing. This way, I never have to cage them. And I dont. I only close toilets when I leave. As of this date... they are always on the stand right where I left them upon my return.

My room is bird proof, as far as electricity so I leave them on that stand and pull the door closed and toilet seat shut. :D

My birds are always IMMEDIATELY lifted from the floor and are taught floor ='s bad place.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I can't seem to get mine off the floor! :lol: Just have to watch where you step and cords on the floor. Oh and antennas ontop of the tv as I've discovered Yoda has a new fascination with landing on the tv then climbing the antenna.. that falls right over!
nil

Post by nil »

thanks all repliers
i dont want clip his feathers and i am afraid to leave him free in rooms because every day except weekends i am out of house from 8am to 6-7 pm, so when i return home lazaros wait me to put him out of his cage for play and fly. In house most times is my wife but hasnt the appropriate experience to handle him.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

When I first got Ajendra his feathers were clipped so badly, all of the primaries were clipped. He'd fall and bash into the floor.

Now, its been 3 months, most primaries are back and he can't fly yet. I want him to keep his feathers, he has stopped getting angry at him flying 'disability' and is happy about his nice new long feathering.

IRN's look much bigger with full wings haha! Mr. cuddly face green baby!
MissVuks

Post by MissVuks »

Sorry to hijack - but because Monte has never flown as his wings were clipped from when he was young. Due to them being hacked itl take a while for them to grow back..

will he be able to learn how to fly at such an older age rather than when they learn as young'ens:( its really depressing when i think about it..

he knows how to flap his wing and kamikaze as we call it. Is this enough for him to know how to fly..
nil

Post by nil »

ringnecks love to fly and of coarse are more beatiful with all their feathers
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

I got this sent to me by adam ( the other half of Gemtone) http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww64eii.htm
Its a good read, Amazon at the moment is clipped but im thinking bout giving him a bit of flight as he knows his way round the house now andreally wants to fly he shows me that by jumping and flapping his wings.
Adam and Dude
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

yeh, free flying doesn't have to be dangerous. If you have a spare bedroom, close the door and let your IRN fly.

I'm going to have mine fly free in my bedroom around his cage, thats it.
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

cookie can fly but not a great height and he can land safely the petshop where i got him from left no flight feathers and he couldnt fly would try but crash land they grew back and i got his wings clipped so he can still fly if he has to. if there is anything in the room that can harm the bird remove it my sister almost lost her budgie she went to the toilet came back out and her budgie had flown into her glass of coke and couldnt get out a second later and yona would have died
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

From my experience when they learn to maneuver and better their landings they can actually be more safer than a clipped bird. Of course, they have to be trained to 'come'. They fly with such precision, its amazing how quick thinking they can be whilst free flying. I dont think I've ever had an 'accident' with Jibs, but Yoda (clipped) has had a few misses and crash landings that make me cringe. :?
Melika

Post by Melika »

We didn't clip our babies until they learned how to fly and land properly. Then we clipped. Our doors are opening and closing all day (dogs) and I've noticed that birds tend to tease the dogs by divebombing them and the dog's natural reaction is to snap- instinct. We like to take our IRNs outside and they go on their various playstands.

We do exercise their wings by running through the house and outside with the birds in the palm of our hands. They tuck their feet and spread their tail feathers just like they are flying. They seem to like it and it's good exercise for the both of us. We have them veering and dropping/climbing in flight too. It's kind of a game...lol.

For us, it's just not safe to let our birds fly freely. Though after every moult we like to let their feathers grow all the way in before clipping, so they do get to fly again for a little while. They don't get mad when they can't fly anymore though, they seem okay with that. They just shrug and walk it off.

And when they go to ground the dogs follow them so we always know where they are. That, and I taught my dog 'find the birdie!' when I was younger and had a Houdini for a budgie. It works on my IRNs too (not reccomended as a good bird finder, my dogs had a lot of training for interacting with the birds). Hane usually seeks me out if he finds his way to the floor- dog noses nudging you every few seconds takes the fun out of exploration! (one dog is an aussie shep and tries to 'herd' Hane to me)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
nil

Post by nil »

lazaros still has all his feathers. he lives in his cage all day except one time per day, when i return home, for play,eat and fly in rooms. This takes about an hour.
He waits me each day to come from my work, and when he see me begin to shout to put him out of his cage. i leave him free in rooms and so he flies few times around and come on me to play with toys and me. Also i give him few handfeeding formula with juice ( like when he was baby)and few other goods.
Everything is ok but few times he flies in rooms very quickly and strikes on walls. i am afraid for that. Another problem wiill be the summers, here have in summer high temperatures and the windows remain open a lot. Every time before i put lazaros out of his cage, i check all the windows but the danger is present.
For the moment i dont clip his feather, i ll try to avoid it.