URGENT: Families with pools...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

URGENT: Families with pools...

Post by Mikaela »

I am way too over-protective. I wont let my birds perch on the screened lania around the pool. Or am I?

NO!

I only allow them to perch out there while IM OUT THERE and the whole family found this rediculous because its a HUGE screened area... whats going to happen? They cant go anywhere!

I be damned! My Peaches was spooked today by the lawn man and fled the stand... you already know where this is going...

She landed straight in the pool. Baby, trying to help here soon followed :!:

As I got the both out (rinsed them well) I noticed that they were staying above water by spanning their wings but I assure you... they couldnt have done this for very long.

IF YOU HAVE A LANIA AND A POOL DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BIRDS PERCHED UNATTENTED. HAD I NOT BEEN OUT THERE BOTH OF MY BIRDS WOULD HAVE BEEN FOUND DEAD.

I would imagine, correct me if Im wrong, that this would apply to toilets as well. Mine will now stay closed. A clipped bird CAN fly... all it needs is a spook.

Not preaching, just sharing my experience before it becomes yours.
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Glad this didn't turn out worse , thank God and you being there.

Thanks for sharing.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

So good to hear they are both ok. That is scary! :( This goes for baths and kitchen sinks too. Any pool of water really! Yodas landed in both full of water. Luckily when I was standing close by. You can never be too over protective of them. Your a good parrent Mik.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I have a fish pool!
But I will never let my fids get close to it unattended.
laine

Post by laine »

Glad all turned out ok and your precious babies are fine. I know what you mean about clipped wings and flying. Smokey is clipped but quite a good flier. He only has to get a spook or an urgent desire to get something and he is off. Especially those sudden scares, its frightening how quick and strong they can be when they want.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I guess its like us when our 'adrenaline' takes over when we are scared. More strength.. without thinking. :wink:
I believe clipping should only take away the ability to gain height. They tire quicker because they have to work harder. But Yoda has ways around his inability to gain height.. He climbs the brick wall to the top of the curtains like hes a rock climber. Damn bird can still get to where ever he wants to go! Sometimes even swinging from the cord for the blinds like a monkey in a tree. :roll: This is why I cannot take my eye off Yoda! Still he doesn't have the agility that Jibby does in flight and only really flys in a straight line. This is more trouble too. But atleast I can predict where he'll land and if it will be a crash landing!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year