Bird and a dog???

Moderator: Mods

Michelle

Bird and a dog???

Post by Michelle »

I'm have been trying to decide whether I should get a puppy or not. I have an IRN that is 3 years old and I love him to death. I have always had dogs, but not since I have the bird. I don't know whether I should take on a puppy or not. I don't know way to start with training a dog with a bird. Is it always going to be a concern with the two together? The bird is used to being out on his cage very often and he also gets on the floor often to play with his toys. Any advice?? Thanks, Michelle
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

i would not mix a puppy with a bird as puppy loves to play and if he gets hold of your bird it could be a horrible thing for you as puppy teath are very very sharp and i would not mix them. just my opion tho ask some other members they might feel different about this
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I would never let Datsun in a room with my puppy, when he gets older maybe supervised but I am now managing seperate play areas and being very careful on how I do introductions..
-Chamon-

julie

Post by julie »

I have introduced all my dogs to the birds. We have odie as an inside dog and last night cookie was on the floor and odie was in, cookie wasnt fussed at all, odie was a little interested and I was really close by. I think where all the dogs have been near the birds before they wouldnt try to hurt them if one of the birds got out when the dogs are there, I wouldnt on purposely leave the dogs and birds out together but im not too worried about them being near each other.
If you do get a puppy try introducing them while the bird is in the cage and let them check eachother out for a bit first, then after a while let the bird out on your hand so the pup sees the bird is friendly, but please make sure you are in a position to be able to stop anything bad from happening.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Its all about conditioning. Teaching the dog its not a toy. If you start them under strict control and supervision you should not have problems.

All my birds got used to dogs/cats by having them get to the point of ignoring each other when the bird is in the cage and the dog is used to its new home and also.. showing no interest in the bird. Just move on from there and its all about showing both that neither are toys.

Tahnkfully dogs react to noise... IRNs dont normally. So telling off a naughty dog while its in the learning process can have a solid reaction to letting it know being too close to bird = not a good idea. I found taking away even the most remote chance of instinct from my cat by letting it know 'bird = distance' meant that I never have to worry about things "accidently" happening due to excitement or fear.
Donna

Post by Donna »

There's always going to be some degree of risk in dog cat bird living together but never let them together unsupervised no matter how well trained the cat or dog is, never trust them around a bird. Use common sense.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I want a doggie so bad I cant stand it... and never been without one. But when I decided on a bird it, by default, meant no more dogs and/or cats.

My children may own bunnies, hamsters... critters such as that but NO animal is allowed in this house that could even remotely hurt my Baby.

Not worth the risk :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

Michelle

Thanks for your responses

Post by Michelle »

I decided to skip on having the puppy. At least for now. I'm too afraid b/c Jacques (the ringneck) means way too much to me. I may attempt it one day, but not now. Michelle
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

i have a golden retriever a beagle and a dalmation/ grey hound puppy and they all get along great.

My first ringneck did get killed by a dog we rescued. But i dont konw if she had to kill to get food for a while or what. We later got rid of the dog.

But my ringneck oliver loves the golden and beagle but i dont let the puppy near cause she just wants to play.

Its hard losing a bird i was so attached so now i have another grey green and i am very very careful to make sure cage is locked and not to let dogs in the same room with the bird while it is out
-Justin
Chloe

Post by Chloe »

Hi Michelle,

I have two dogs Max(Irish Wolfhound) and Gus (Foxy xJack Russell). I had Max and Gus before i got Parka (IRN). I know the nature of my dogs and knew that it would be highly unlikely that they would hurt anything - Jez they don't even flinch when a mouse runs past them.

Parka now rules this house. If Max and Gus are asleep on there beanbag and Parka is in an annoying mood he will run over to them and pull the hairs from inbetween there paws. :lol:

They all get on great. Here is a video i took a while back. Every morning when i have my breakfast i have to leave 3 bits of crust. One for Max, One for Gus and One for Parka. Parka usually runs off with his and nibbles it - this video is basically what happens. Parka always wins :lol:

I know it looks as though Gus is a little vicious at the end, but believe me Parka has given him a few nips and Gus is basically petrified of him :lol:

I hope you enjoy.

PARKA & MAX

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Parka is so funny.

I don't have dogs or cats, I just don't want to risk it with the birds. I'd love a dog though! Both my birds have been around small dogs. But never out of the cage with them. Theres always a risk and you can never trust any animal 100%. Dogs and cats saliva can kill a bird on its own. Accidents happen.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Craig

Post by Craig »

That was sooooo cool!! You are right, Parka is the Boss, for sure!

:)
Craig
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

we have a cat that does not bother the IRNs, I would never leave them unatended whilst out, but its strange to see the cat walk straight past them as though they are not there. I will say he pricks his ears up if they Flap their wings, this must be the only thing that he relates them to being Birds.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

When Gemstone and i were living together we were looking after a small dog, Amazon would always annoy the dog nipping him etc, and at times the dog would let Amazon ride on his back.
Sharlene and Amazon
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

training the dogs, and making sure dogs listen to you is KEY. If you can teach them the birds are off limits at ALL TIMES, even on the floor, it works.

My lorikeet is a floor bird. She came to me with a really bad wing clip, and she hasn't been able to fly yet. (sheesh, she NEEDS a good moult!) So she learned that the floor is fun. with CAPITAL LETTERS F>U>N> The kids toys are down there-toy trains are fun to chase. Its fun to run over the dogs feet and make them run. The dogs think that whenever the bird is near them, they will get squirted with water, and they go the other way. If they are laying there, they just stay there, and Blueberry goes on her way to the next thing; usually the rocking chair, where she hides her stash of fun toys shes found (bottle caps, buttons, and kids toys)

Do I leave the dogs and birds out at the same time and walk away? NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! Lotus (my Akita) would rather be the door blocker and just lay there. Rosie is laying wherever the kids are. Blueberry runs over to my Eclectus Quana's cage to play(its so BIG, and the toys are FUN MOM!), then runs and runs and runs around on the floor,