question about macaws

Moderator: Mods

mattyboardman

question about macaws

Post by mattyboardman »

hey all i was wondering on getting a bigger bird for a pet and i was having a look around and there are hyasinth mcaws for sale...are you allowed to own one of these birds ? i got told a long time back you wasnt has things changed now ? i love these birds and colour i just want to make sure it is legal to own such a bird
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
julie

Post by julie »

I will let dani know to come into this thread, she has a couple of macaws and is into rescueing them too.
Pounamu

Post by Pounamu »

Last time i herd the hyacinth is endangered, dunno if that means you can't own one.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

yea thats what i thought but there is alot of birds of this type for sale so i dont get it :S and people are breeding them aswell to sell these type of birds
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

she emailed me back with these images of the bird what is for sale :

[img 1 ] :

[img 2 ] :

[img 3 ] :

the price she has asked is 450 uk pound
Donna

Post by Donna »

What a gorgeous baby Hy. Here in the states that baby would sell for about 9 to 10 thousand us dollars. It's not illegal to own one here. Baby Hy's take about 2 years to fully wean and they eat a very expensive diet of nuts macadamia nuts to be exact. These birds are not for the novice bird person. They have a very large beak and a bite to match. If you want to start with a larger bird go with a mini macaw, Hahns, Yellow collared macaw. I'm not saying you can't get a Hyacinth but don't bite off more then you can chew. Your Macaws of any size is more challenging then your ringnecks and other small birds. Larger birds take up more space eat more food and demand more of your time. Just consider all these things before you buy.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

yeah i know there alot harder to own they have been in my family before thats why im considering on getting one, but i aint to sure of getting a hyacinth i would like a red or a blue and gold the hyacinth is bigger then these types i think ?

my uncle has got a red macaw what is a great bird i have all the time in the world this would be for a pet for me and my fiancee not for breeding etc.

im gunna look more into it first before i decide what i will buy or not.
if not a macaw maybe an african grey or somthing in that area i jsut love big birds have done since a child
Donna

Post by Donna »

All the Macaws I have, have been second and third hand birds that came with bad habits and issues that I've had to work with. I have said a few times on this board birds are not born mean we humans do that to birds. We instill bad behaviors, every one of us is guilty of it. I'm not talking about abuse (that's a whole different thing) I just want people to do their research before they venture into to larger birds. Bigger birds Bigger problems, knowing how to deal with them PRICELESS

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

no im gunna look at this for a good few months not going to rush into things i never do that when i feel the time is right to go and buy one of these birds the time will be right and i will know alot about them i dont want to go and get a bird i dont know nothing about.... im not like that i will reserce the best i can.

i know what you mean about people doing things to these birds people buy macaws to have them swearing at people etc...that aint far on the bird i want this for a loving pet to be loved off 2 people me and my fiancee the time will be right when i do decide to get one if i do get one :D

thanks for your advice donna
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

that is one of the most beautiful birds i have ever seen macaws cost anywhere from 1000-16000 over here such a shame i would die to own one of them hope you can get one
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'm confused. They are endangered but people breed them? Very beautiful birds they are though! Jaw droppingly gorgeous!
Woah! 450 pound for a Hyacinth. Considering a blue and gold macaw here are about 10 000 (AU) Dollars, I don't want to know how much they are here! I'm not sure if there is any in Aus. :shock:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Fah

Post by Fah »

Australia is weird regarding prices here :/

Our little country is completely cut off from any new imports so what we have is all we have and dont expect any new blood either :/

This has made several issues. For example Alexandrines can go for $1600 US overseas yet you can pick up a baby green for about $250 US here. Large Maccaws basicly anything around 6-7k in price is a steal!

That is why our market is so scewed compared to other countries when it comes to birds :(
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

yea 450 is a bit on the cheap side i think its a rip off scam somone trying to take 450 but no bird i been thinkin about getting a macaw and for this moment in time im going to leave it and stay with my IRN as a macaw takes alot of time so does my fiancee at this moment in time so when i feel i have time for a big bird i will go out and get one but for this moment in time im going to leave it for a few months / years :(

but i will be getting one in the fututre no worries :D
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Sometimes we just have to say no. Its so hard when you have birds on the brain 24 hours 7 days a week! :( I'm sure your baby daughter would love a macaw! hehe

I think its great we are cut off from imports. There seems to be a much bigger market for parrots over in the US. Its also hard to find parrot adoptions here. Does anyone in Aus know of an avian adoption centre? :? There is the RSPCA but the majority of their adoptions are dogs and cats.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

yea i want to get a macaw when my daughter is a little older so she dont pull at the bird etc cause i dont want the bird hurt or my daughter so i want to wait a little till she is older then i might get a macaw but we never no what the future holds :P could go out and get one next week lol