Illegal?

Moderator: Mods

Andreya

Illegal?

Post by Andreya »

I live in the US and know that Ringnecks are illegal to own in New Jersey... but does anyone know if they are anywhere else??
Andi
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

They arent in New Zealand just cant import them here
Adam and Dude
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

how dare anyone make it illegal to own these beauties .. hmm I guess in states where they are a problem in the wild ?? like the quaker.

I don't know of anywhere in Australia where it is illegal, I know some birds you need a licence for, for various reason.

Next ! (preferably someone in the US :wink: )
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Donna

Post by Donna »

The only state I could find was NJ for IRN's but the Quaker is illegal in California, Kentucky, Tennessee, Wyoming, Kansas, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, because they are very prolific and make nests on power lines and destroy crops they are a very hardy bird that live in almost any climate. I have heard that in Australia that some farmers shoot and kill cockatoo's that invade crops. That is sad as well.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:shock: There wouldn't have to be laws like this if people looked after their pets properly.

Unfortunately farmers do shoot native animals. I see it as selfish. There are ways of dealing with birds eating crops other than shooting them. Roos here are shot too. Theres even been culling! Funny how you don't see many Roos out in central Aus. (Well, I didn't see one!) But you sure can see alot of feral cats and camels! :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Andreya

Post by Andreya »

Donna wrote:The only state I could find was NJ for IRN's but the Quaker is illegal in California, Kentucky, Tennessee, Wyoming, Kansas, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, because they are very prolific and make nests on power lines and destroy crops they are a very hardy bird that live in almost any climate. I have heard that in Australia that some farmers shoot and kill cockatoo's that invade crops. That is sad as well.

Donna

Thanks for the info Donna! I had seen that about Quakers. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I am in Alaska and do plan to move south eventually, obviously not to New Jersey.. thought I'd better make sure that was my only restriction. If Lola doesn't go, I don't go. :)
Andi
Andreya

Post by Andreya »

Lauren wrote::shock: There wouldn't have to be laws like this if people looked after their pets properly.

Unfortunately farmers do shoot native animals. I see it as selfish. There are ways of dealing with birds eating crops other than shooting them. Roos here are shot too. Theres even been culling! Funny how you don't see many Roos out in central Aus. (Well, I didn't see one!) But you sure can see alot of feral cats and camels! :?

Uhm, you have feral camels??? Wow.. That's really sad though. They were trying to pass a thing here (don't know if they did?) to shoot hundreds of wolves because they said that the moose population was down.
Andi
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Yes, strange huh! We have camels. Plenty of them too. The silly things don't move off the hwy either! Scary when you can't see the road infront of you at sunrise with the sun glare, driving on a hwy with no speed limit and a camel suddenly steps out onto the road! (I wasn't driving at this time, but my partner was, but it was just as scary in the passenger seat!) We have buffalo aswell. I have no idea how these were introduced.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

coming over the crest of a hill with sun involved, coming across a huge shadow, which turns out to be a big red kanga.. omg ! scariest crap ever for me. We have issues with cows, horse, sheep and goat escapes also and those escapes are usually on the strezlecki's winding hilltop roads.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I know that if you buy an IRN here in California and you take it out of the state...it is not allowed to be brought back into the borders. Guess I am stuck here LOL

Dani
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:shock: I wonder why this is?
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I've just bought a house that's been vacant for a while. Went to have a look at the house the other weekend and found a family of kangaroos checking me out.

Obviously they'd claimed the garden as theirs and I was the intruder.

I will have to watch my dogs with them though as kangaroos can kill.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Lauren wrote::shock: I wonder why this is?

They are considered an agricultrual pest...and a potiental hazard to crops/native animals

Dani
Andreya

Post by Andreya »

Dani03 wrote:I know that if you buy an IRN here in California and you take it out of the state...it is not allowed to be brought back into the borders. Guess I am stuck here LOL

Dani

Now that is odd.
Andi
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I can understand them being pests to farmers but it just seems weird that if you already had the bird in the state, would it really matter if you brought it back in.. is there any reason other than agricultural pests? Bit odd. :shock:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

California is a bit odd :wink:

Dani
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

we have about 50 roo's on our property along the driveway at night when we get home unfortunately they jump into the headlights along the roads and you cant see them until its too late we have only hit one roo took it to wires it was ok. in finland they cull wolves my pop comes from finland says there are so many and they kill a couple people each year, in norway they cull bears. so sad :cry:
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Jim Richards didn't have much trouble finding roos at bathurst in '04

HAHAHA ANZAC talk on an american board, one day we will dominate the world with parrots on shoulders

Adam
Adam and Dude
Melika

Post by Melika »

In Hawaii they are restricted, that much I've looked up in the past. Before moving or traveling through/to a state it's best to look up their import regulations.

There are states where you cannot even travel through with a Quaker Parrot, or states where they must always have clipped wings. As for ringnecks, you would have to look up each state's regulations specifically. I had to dig for Hawaii as I was considering moving there to stay with my aunt for a bit. Found the restriction deep in some PDF somewhere online back then.

Not too long ago I saw a pair of Blue Crowned conures in our tree out front and we have a few local flocks of Nanday Conures as well. Living in Florida and seeing the Monk Parakeet/Quaker Parrot population exploding, I can understand very well why species of parrots are banned or restricted, and why more will be added in the future as aviculture grows and more pets escape.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Americans see roos as being so cute, knowing they will kick our brains out... but still, they are Kick ****!

Then again, I dont have to live with um.
~ Mikaela Sky

julie

Post by julie »

Mikaela wrote:Americans see roos as being so cute, knowing they will kick our brains out... but still, they are Kick ****!

Then again, I dont have to live with um.

Its a bit scary taking the dogs for a walk,you never know when skippy will be in a bad mood and decide to come play with you. We have goannas too, I remember when I was a kid and my brother kicked the footy near a goanna and it ate the footy whole.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh yup, Roos can be dangerous kickboxers. I've cuddled a roo before at Currumbin when I was young. :D Love the big lizards. When I lived at Uluru (Ayers Rock Resort), it was quite normal to wake up, take a step outside, and almost get bowled over by big perenties taking their morning stroll. :wink: But I've heard perenties can be vicious too. Still lovely to see them!