Getting another bird

Moderator: Mods

Jet17

Getting another bird

Post by Jet17 »

Hello Everyone, I haven't been on this forum for awhile. I have a question hope someone could help me. I'm thinking of getting another male ringneck I have a 2 1/2 year old male ringneck now. He's very bonded to me If I get another ringneck will he lose that bond with me? Will they get along? I know I have to keep them seperated for awhile to let them get use to each other. I want to be sure before I dicide to get another one. I would appreciate any feedback Thank You Jet17 :P
InTheAir

Re: Getting another bird

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

I can't tell if your bird will get on well with another bird. I think there is a good chance with a slow introduction to another male though.
He will still be friends with you. The relationship may change a bit, sometimes doing bird stuff may be more important than doing human stuff to him. Or you may find yourself in a situation where both birds want to do human stuff with you.
Jet17

Post by Jet17 »

Hi InTheAir, Thanks for the feedback. Yea I guess it would be hard to tell if they would get along for sure. I kinda think once they get use to each other they would be ok. I just think it would be nice to have another bird like him around. He gets so excited when he looks at ringnecks on youtube. Thanks again
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. I got a 16 year old male to be companion to my 12 year old male (who I had for two years) last year. They were thrilled with each other from the get go. After a false start or two, they started living together not quite a year after I got that second. My relationship with the first has not suffered at all, though he did learn some new skills about being a bird. Your mileage may vary.
-MissK
Jet17

Post by Jet17 »

Thank You MissK for that bit of information. Were your birds rescue birds?
MissK

Post by MissK »

No. I took them straight from homes where they were not wanted. Rescue birds already have it made.
-MissK