URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Moderator: Mods

d38rac3y

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post by d38rac3y »

I have an IRN called Kiwi, hes 8 months old and semi tame.

This afternoon he managed to get out as my little one must have unlocked the cage without anyone seeing (we have just ordered a new cage to prevent this and normally its tied shut but as I was in the kitchen preparing his veg and fruit I didn't tie it) anyway he got out and flew into my wifes silly ornament shaped like a ball that consequently rolled off and fell on him.

I then noticed one of his legs is now limp and he cant seem to move it! I was absolutly gutted beyond belief and I still am. I contacted our emergency avian vet who said to keep him in a small dark space so I have put him in a cat carrier, put some wood shavings on the bottom and placed his dish of water and food in with him and covered him so he only sees out a little and take him to the practice first thing tomorrow morning.

Will he be ok? I am so worried he wont recover and wont have use of that leg again and be put to sleep :-( any advice GRATELY appteciated.
Wessel Gordon

Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I'm sorry to hear that this happened but there's only one piece of sensible advice: if there's any change in his/her condition for the worse contact the vet again immediately. If you mentioned to the vet exactly what happened and what injuries the bird seems to have I'm sure he would have given you appropriate medical advice.
d38rac3y

Post by d38rac3y »

I really hope so, I am absolutely gutted and can't believe it happened, I feel like it's all my fault. Yes first thing tomorrow my little buddy is off to my Avian vets to be seen to so will post an update once I know myself.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I'm sure the bird will be fine in the end.

I have a Congo African Grey with a deformed right foot (not broken but deformed and all the toes not where they should be) but thanks to a very dedicated breeder who hand-reared her from a very young age and her own tenacious character she doesn't let that ''disability'' get in her way. If she wants to do something or go somewhere she will find a way so all is not lost for a bird with a leg injury. All it takes is a bit of consideration for possible problems with balance etc...Banana uses her beak to steady herself on an arm or a perch and if you're not prepared for that you might mistake the hold she has on your arm for a bite.

Keep us up to date on what the vet diagnosed.

Wessel
d38rac3y

Post by d38rac3y »

Hi, aww glad to hear your Congo is doing well.

Well I am just back from the vets and he needs some Xrays etc to decide if or not they need to operate, he's still there and I am waiting for the phone call. I think it's time I think about insurance as this before a diagnosis has cost me just short of £100 but when you take pets on you take on the costs of keeping them fit and well.

Once I know more I will post.

Thanks everyone.