Urgent!!! Urgent!!! please read!!!

Moderator: Mods

Milamber3790

Urgent!!! Urgent!!! please read!!!

Post by Milamber3790 »

i was taking Jaws for a walk as i do every now and then. he gets to see all the native birds and he likes listeining to them...
i was walking past the top shop and it was the perfect accident... these things only happen in movies...
so for some reason of his own he jumped off my shoulder and flew across the road. he didn't make it across the road, because a minivan drove past.
i thought it was gona hit him and it almost did. he banged into the metal plate on the front wheel. there was this big gong sound and the van just kept driving... i ran up to Jaws and scooped him off the road. he was petrified, from the moment he hit the ground he didn't move or squawk...
as i took him home i noticed that he didn't want to stand on his claws or use them at all.. it was like he was standing on his wrists... so anyway i cradled him in my arms while i took him home... i made sure his eyes were covered so he couldnt see any cars or anything that might frighten him...
i took him to my room and thought. the best way to cure shock is to be in a familiar stressless enviroment, so i tried to put him in his cage but he wouldnt get off my hand... i managed to get him off me and i put him on his perch... he was barely holding on with one claw... mainly balancing on his wrists... so i thought he didnt want to be in his cage...
i took him out and lay on my bed in the darkness.. i put him on my chest and stayed there for like half an hour... i didn't know what else to do... i wanted him to calm down cos i know shock is a phisical problem and not a mental one... it makes you're heart beat like mad and can kill you if you stay shocked for long enough. so i sat in the darkness with him...
after a while he started moving from his position... i got up and put him on his perch in his cage... he took a great deal of convicing before he let go of me... after that i put his towl over his cage to stop any light getting in and went upstairs to write this blog thingo...
the only part that looks damaged is his beak... there are two little lines like u get when u scrape your nails and litle bits flake a bit... it isn't cracked or broken... itherwise he might have something wrong with his wings... or maybe his feet. but when he wasnt standing on his wrists he seemed to use them normaly...
ok that about sums it up...
i need urgent replies so that someone can tell me what to do...
i've been meening to take him to the petshopt to get his wings clipped for ages, because he can fly about ten meters before hiting the ground nowdays... i was even thinking of doing it after i came home from school
i think i'l get him checked up at the same time after school tomorow...

please people... any help with the situation will be great... if anyone has had an acident like this with their ringneck or has any information aobut how to treat shock or any related things please reply!!

PS im sory i havnt posted anything sooner, ive got a whole batch of ringnek problems i have been meaning to ask you aobut bt this takes priority...
thx
MissVuks

Post by MissVuks »

id take it to the vet just to give him the once over. being hit by a van would be pretty painful for your bird..
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Agreed, are there any vets open that you could call or take Jaws to? Datsun had a much lesser but similar incident this week and I rushed my baby in my robe to the vets, if there are internal problems he could die by tomorrow..

I do not mean to frighten you but a vet check is the best possible thing for Jaws right now and really I would be much happier if you could get a thorough check over for your baby as son as possible.

Keep us updated and good luck, all my good thoughts and wishes going your way.
-Chamon-

Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

it's 7pm... i went bak downstairs like an hour later to chek up on him. and he is moving around his cage normaly. he bit me cos h is a teritorial idiot. which is good cos he wasnt doing it wen after he got hit...
i'd like to say it wasnt that bad and hes made a full reovery. but as you say, you can never know with internal injuries... in phisical health and developementthey are teaching us how to give first aid to crash victims and other sorts of accidents so i no how important it is to make a thurout chek upwithin the first few hours...

but all the vets will be closed at this hour... and mum certanly wouldnt take me if they were open...
my best shop is tomorow...
but the incident wasnt that severe... he didnt hit it head on or he would be dead... he hit it on the side so it must have been like hitting a wall... i think most of it was all shock... and that seems to have disipated...
thanks for all the help guys :)
il keep you up to date
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Even with wings clipped there is such a danger to taking your fids out to busy area's such as shops etc. dogs, other people, its just such a risk.

I am glad that this didn't turn out worse than it did.

If you insist on taking him around with you and I am not trying to tell you what to do with your bird, but maybe invest in a flight suit just to be safe.

Anyway , I am glad he is ok. I myself would still take him in for a check up.

Cheers!
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

What a scare! I think Jaws has used one of his nine lives (yeah, I know that is cats, but Julie is helping me type this). I'm amazed at folks who are brave enough to take their fids out into the big bad world; mine can get into trouble even in my "animal-proofed" house. Glad to hear he is doing ok, but think I might opt for a quick check up too.
MCS
lutino

Post by lutino »

Can you take your birds outside? I want to, but im too scared that he/she will fly away, even though the wings are clipped. If i did he/she would only be allowed in the yard.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:shock: Oh no! That must of been a terrifying thing to see! Is there any vets around that do 24 hours? Even emergencies? Alot of vets will have a 24 hour number. Id find one that does this and keep the number handy.

Jaws may look alright but you never know whats going on inside. I do hope hes alright!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

it's the next day... and he's bak to his old self... this morning he went into a full blown atak and i was lucky not to lsoe an eye... he shud fly into things more often.. it makes him a hell of a lot more docile.
after school i took him to the petshop to get his wings clipped. he started chatting away with an beautiful eclectus Parot... well only one was talking... and it wasnt Jaws... he was just barking and sqwaking... he tried to get of the eclectus's cage and show off but i woudnt let him. anyway, he got his wings clipped, it was a far cry from the nighmare i was envisioning, snip snip and they were gone... almost like cutting your hair... there were these quakers that wiggled like elvis presly and mumbled random stuff...
and there were 3 ringnecks but they flew to the other side of their cage when i cam closer. the petshop lady said they were aviary birds or sumfing so that must make their whooses or sumfin...
anyway, i told her aobut the accident and she said he didn't look that bad. but she said he might have a cracked chesty thingo bone. the only way to find out for sure was to get an xray... but she said it wasn't severe, and it would heal prity fast, just not to let him fly around banging his chest on teh ground cos it mite be a bit sore ifhe actualy had a broken chesty thingo bone...
i asked her if they were taking job aplications because i've been meening to find a job for ages... mums said she'd stop giving me poket muny... and i thought the petshop would be great, she said i could bring Jaws along if i did end up working there... and he could hang out on my shoulder or with the other ringnecks...

anyway, i hate to look all relaxed while you guys are profesising doom... but going to a vet would be imposible cos mum dosnt see it as that much of an emergency... and mum's word is LAW.

Jaws is downstairs at the moment...
while i'm here i'd like to ask you guys, how do u cure a teritorial bird... if we are in the room together he goes all psico... it's not just little nips on the finger... he'll dig in and hang on for deer life... its frightening, he can get a decent chunk of flesh in his beak at it's razor sharp...
i've herd it may because they spends too much time in their cage, and he cretanly is. he does nothing else when i'm at skwl.
but lots of people have said they get moody when their wings grow back, cos they realise that they can do stuff without you...but his wings are freshly clipped so if thats the case then theres nothng to wury about...
ok guys... gota go and do my resume now... it's the first one iv ever done! :) every other bloke at skwl has a job and i feel like a 3 year old wen they are all calculating their taxes and GST... while i'm doing my maths homework
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I don't want to sound harsh but.. Your pet companion getting hit by a car/van is not something serious enough for a vet trip??? :? Birds hide illness or pain well and you never know whats going on inside. A cracked breast bone can take a while to heal and it can lead to plucking/mutilation from the bird being in pain or discomfort. I don't know why the petshop person gave the impression that it'll be fine.

If Jaws is a little territorial, have you tried taking him away from the cage/playgyms? They usually get territorial around 'their stuff'. There are many reasons why they get moody. But remember just don't react to bites.

Its great your looking for work! I am too. Don't feel left out. It doesn't matter what your friends are doing. You just live your own life and school work right now is more important anyway. Trust me, taxes are not something to be excited about. LOL. At your age I don't think they tax you anyway if I'm correct? :wink: Goodluck with the job hunting!
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

she didnt give the impresion that it would just be fine. the bestbone idea was only realy mentioned cos i saw some blood on his lower stomach and asked if she could have a look at it. she held him upside down and put some antiseptic stuff on it and washed it a bit and she just said that it was posible that he "could" have a craked breastbone and that if the only way to find out if he did was to get an xray.
we both agreed that the blood was probly from after he flew into the side of the car and he musta grazed himself on the ground... it was only a small amount of blood, and he'd cleaned it out by the time i got him to the petshop. just a flesh wound :wink:

i hate to defend the car here. but he didnt realy get hit by a car, he noked into it side on while it drove past, so there was no high speed behind it, the car was moving in the other direction so he did all the nocking... hopefuly it has a decent sized dent in its side now!

i no i shudnt react to bites but its not just bites anymore, its full blown mauling. wen he bites he latches on and dusnt let go. it would be like geting bitten by a t-rex and trying not to react. for a budgie looking thing he packs one hell of a punch.

yeh ok i mite have goten a bit caried away about the taxes, but we do get GST wich is even worse. i'm not sure if you get it in america.

PS mum dosnt regard Jaws as a living thing, that sounds harsh but it's true. wen Toby (our dog) got backed over by the next door nabours car adn was in shock, she didn't want to take him to the vet, she just thought he'd heal with time. i forced her to take him there. he had to stay the night on a drip so they could moniter his situation. but he turned out alright the next day, just a lot of bruising, and mum got all pissed off at me cos she wasted her muny... my philophosy is its beter to be safe than sory... mum dosnt think that way :)
shes 57 and she's stuck in her ways, its like racist old people you cant budge them from the way they think. to her Jaws is just a bird, a small one at that, she never went to school, she grew up in an orphanage and her education wasnt perfect. to her if something is alive and kicking on the outside then it'll live.

has anyone noticed i write realy long messages? i have to get outa the habit... it must be the author side of me...
did i tell you i'm writing a book. and a layer-friend of my mums goes to america lots. he asked me to send hom a copy so he can pass it to all his publisher friends... :) isnt that kwl??? i mite get my book published!!!
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Please by no means think that we are ganging up on you but if there was blood it is possible there could be internal injuries, breastbone would be the least of your worries. As Lauren says, birds hide pain and illness well so if you cannot take Jaws to the vet keep an extremely close eye on him as things can still turn very serious.

Datsun fell from less than a metre and still he managed to knock himself out and go into shock, I was at the vets withing 5 mins and he has had a check up since then also but still I am aware that there may be internal bleeding or injury and am watching him like a hawk. I am not being over the top or over protective, birds are very fragile and can go from seemingly well to dead in a minute.

Part of having pets is unfortunately the costs of vet care and unexpected expenditures. Good on you for looking for a job, I am sure Jaws will appreciate it.

Just please please please keep an eye on him for any changes as this is and was a serious accident.
-Chamon-

Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

as you say i'l keep an eye on him... i dont care wat mums on about. if i se something rong with him il walk to the vets and put a mortgage on my bicicle if the vet bill is realy expensiv.
thanx for the help guys. il tel u if somefin hapns. and u can all say 'i told you so" that always cheers me up, being able to say i told you so. but i guess this case wouldnt be that great.
anyway... cyas
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

I got Klaatu 2 months ago not showing signs of a ring. He has been moulting heavily and now has a full lovely ring. His wings were trimmed when i got him but now because of the moult his flight feathers are quickly growing in. So quickly infact that yesterday he took full flight in my tiny apartment and smashed into a plate glass door head first at full speed. Twice! I described in another thread what a time I had trimming his nails as my roommate panicked and wouldn't hold him still. Now I have to trim his wings. Guess I will take him to the pet shop I bought him from to assist me. I could hold him, or I could trim him, but I can't do both by myself.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

I took some quick pics of my lory in her little-bit-oversized and hated flightsuit. when her tail and flightfeathers grow back out, and she gets a tinsey little bigger, it'll fit more correctly

sorry bout the picture size, its kinda big, but its true-to life!!! HAHA. But, invest in one of those, and your birdie should be safe being taken outside for walks. I'm getting a new leash, since they are sold with silly little laynards.

last edit: excuse the mess, I have to fold laundry still, putting it off for a while!:lol:

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:shock: Flight suit?
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

hmm, thats what they are called. Those are bad pictures, but its kinda.. well, its cute in its own way.

hes a site with pictures.. its an Australian sight, so the sizing is different.. but

http://bestplacebythefire.com/gallery/t ... hp?album=1

it has a pouch, so if you take your FID out and about, it poos in there (for those of us that don't have success with potty training) it has a velcro back for easy-ish on/off, and the way the 'leash' is kept on is via that.

you can also use a smaller, figure 8 style harness for your fids. I got this one for the POO factor.
this picture is from that site posted above:

Image[/url]
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:roll: So it's not for flying? It's for pooing?
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

its for BOTH. they CAN fly in it too. its mostly so that they don't have accidents like the one posted about. If you want a more of a flying type thing, there are figure 8 harnesses (like, a cat one) bird sized.

edit: heres another pic from that sight, a bird in flight

it gives free movement of the wings. I suppose you can attach a long enough cord, and the birdie can fly quite nicely.

but, if the FID had been in a harness/flightsuit with a leash, this wouldn't have happened, and the FID could STILL be outdoors.
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

hey guys, those flightsuits look awsome!
Jaws has some brain damage, he thinks hes a woodpecker or sumfin. he goes up to thigs and bangs his beak head-on. or he'll do these little jabs at it... he's never dun that before... otherwise he hasnt dropped dead or anything. as i said in another post, i thought he was plucking his feathers. but wen i rub his belly or the back of his neck, i can see those little new-born feathers u gys were talking about. i have concluded that he is just moulting, like u guys told me... last nite he jumped off his cage and snugled in bed wth me... :)
hes still a bit teritorial, will have to figure out how to cure that, but otherwise, he lets me pat him wen im not in the same room as his cage. and he's geting better. thx 4 all ur help guys...
realy had myself thinking i was a crap parent...
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

PS, swanwillow. is that a rainbow lory? we've got heeps of them that fly around and make noise. they r sooo beutiful, altho nufin can compare to Jaws.
i heard that a lorikeet's stomach cant handle seeds...that tru? otherwise i might have poisond half a million.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Lorikeets naturally eat nectar and fruits. Eating seeds can cause damage to their tongue and beak. Also no bread or biscuits as this is not good for them either. Its best to feed them native plants/nectar. :wink:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

They also have brush like tongues designed for licking nectar or pollen. :wink: I have heard the lorikeets stomach is not capable of holding or digesting seeds. But I'm not sure.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

it'll compact in there, and not pass... I don't know how it works in AUS, I don't think they eat enough at the feeders, and then they go off and do other things.

Yup, thats blueberry, my green naped rainbow. I'll never be without a lorikeet again. EVER. Shes such a doll!

for the occasional treat, she'll get a tiny itsy bitsy eye-sized piece of toast. More commonly, she gets fruits and veggies; more or less any kind, other than grapes... too high in iron.

If you want to make a treat for your lories (I want to go there for a visit!!!) make a fruit smoothie of sorts; banana, strawberries, mango, other fruits. Either chunk and kabob it, or throw it all in a blender and smoothie it. Then, freeze them in icecube trays. Pop out an icecube, put it on a shallow dish (depending on how many you have visiting, I should mention.) and watch them enjoy! PLUS its much healthier than seed.
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

Hi guys, Ok i've established that Jaws is moulting. he's just got rid of his two remaining tail feathers. and now he's only got the short new ones that he's just moulted. he's got that african grey look to him... should he have grown bak some of those long tail feahters in between losing the old ones? cos i was wondering how birds in the wild manage to fly around with only half a tail...
Do irns get all cranky wen moulting. he's goten teritorial and bites my face wen on my shoulder... he only lets me pat him and scratch his nek wen hes sitting next to the mirror. probly to impress the other bird looking at him from the other side...
Toby lunged at Jaws yesterday but Jaws bit him on the nose to fend him off. luky i was there. im never letting them hang around together alone again. cant trust that dog, knew i'd see an other side to him.

Is it just all irn behaviour to hate fingers and hands? cos he realy goes psico at mine...

anyway. moving on to other news. a rainbow lorikeet hit mum's car a few days ago. he/she was all stunned and mum brought him/her back home. the bird hung around in my arms fora while then flew off out the window... dangit i realy wanted one of those! anyway, it smelt funy. probly comes with being a wild bird...

ok cya now.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

hiya i hope jaws is feeling better even with that stinky molting time! when i first got my IRN fred he was extremely scared and terrotorial. I found it helped when I put his cage on a waist-height peice of furnature instead of at shoulder height. at one point i out his cage on the floor for a few days and i have to be honest it chilled him out a little bit - I also gave him a bigger cage when the budget allowed for it and i havent seen any issue at all since. it seems like the less terrotory they have the more aggressivly they defend it!

and i have been told by the breeder i got my IRN at that letting them have free range over your shoulder and head gives them the impression that they are "higher" in the pecking order than you. myabe try getting him out of the cage with a perch (he can bite that all he wants) and then sit on the floor with him and let him run around there instead of near your face at least until you are confident he wont eat your eyeball!

best of luck! i know how it is to have a "silly" irn - we know we love them! they want a little more proof!
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: I guess I was lucky. Klaatu started to moult the week I got him. He remained sweet and gentle through out the entire process. He's so gorgeous now that it's over. It was the moult that he "became a man" I bought him as a "possible" male. When the moult was over there was no question.
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

I got Jaws 6 months ago... he wasn't teritorial then... so it's moulting thats turning him into a brat? i thought taht'd b it... his cage is waste high... and i think it's prity big... welll not huge, but like a bit smaler than a chair. hmmm ok thx for the info... il try and get him a stand. or a tree, the problem with trees is that he seems to think they look beter without the leaves, so he goes about pulling them off...
how do i get him outa that habit? cos mum likes the idea of a tree, she hates it when he wanders about cos he shits on the ground and digs his claws into the silk, etc. personaly i think she shudn't get silk in the first place. but what can i say, she's the queen of the castle.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: How cute. Pulling the leaves off a siltk tree. I hate silk plants so I'm all for it but you mom probably doesn't find it funny.
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

Not silk tree, lol. I meen silk other stuff. Like cushions or stuff. The trees are real