please advise.....

Moderator: Mods

leo

please advise.....

Post by leo »

im buying a ringneck, but many birdsop keeper discourage me...they say IRN is noisy...bites alot..and will very easily loe hand-tameness...they also said something like only 1 out of thousand will actually talk well....please help me...im confuse...i didn,t know IRN has such a bad reputation in my city, singapore...hmm, is it true...i'm hoping from more reliable source, all the ringneck expert here before i actually get 1...thanks for the helps........thanks really alot......
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I would not believe a word of this and if the bird shop are saying this, they have no knowledge of IRNs and should not be permitted to sell them.

But, every new bird owner should know this about any species of parrot..

Every bird can bite, every bird has the potential to be loud, and not every bird can talk.. never buy a bird based solely on their talking abilities. Its not a guarantee. Knowing this, its up to how you handle the bird and teach the bird good behaviours. Research before you buy. We have some good topics here that will help you make a decision.

Hope I helped. :?

P.S I will move this to the appropriate area.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

As Lauren said so well.

You need the time and patience to put into any bird that you buy. All can be noisey and bite etc.

In my experience the bad rep. IRN's get is soley because they are not like other birds, in that once you hand raise and tame other birds, you can place them in an aviary situation for months and still take them out a tame calm bird. IRN's on the other hand can revert back to rather wild and noisey when placed unattended into an aviary for long periods, hence, breeders don't see them as a tame species.

If you purchase a tame baby and you spend time with it, it will stay this way, the more you communicate with it the more likely it is to talk. But put to aviary with no attention for lengths, it will become untame and noisey.

This does not mean you have to be with it 24/7 as they really enjoy their rest times, and time alone playing, so long as you interact with them a few hours of each day, they are amazing little friends to have around.

I have four and all four of mine talk, Jordan my lutino male especially immitates even sounds and my laugh, and he laughs at appropriate times, like he actually understands humour.

I find them to be highly intelligent, fun, cheeky, full of character, not really the cuddlers some people want, but still liking scritches and plenty of attention. They are very much to me the jesters of the birds, full of new tricks and funny behaviour, playful and very dedicated. I would take another one on in a heart beat.

So if you have the time and patience to put into a bird, I don't see why an IRN would be a bad choice.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

Hello and welcome to the board. I dont get why irns get such a bad rep. My rainbow lorri makes more noise than 10 irns put together (I have 10).
I would try to find a breeder of irns and not buy one from that mean lady at the pet shop unless you absolutely have too. GOOD LUCK
leo

Post by leo »

yup...thanks alot...i will get bact to u aft i got myself 1...hmm, mind asking for future advises please...hehe..thanks alot.......it really help, at least i 'm more sure ofmy chioce...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Ask and ye shall receive :wink:

You are a part of a wonderful family now that is always willing to help in anyway we can .. Cheers ! look forward to hearing how you go.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

Well, all bird breeds have their own characteristics, and I've heard some negative things about IRN's, but I've not found them to be true. When my girl PeeGee showed up at my house 3 years ago, I didn't know anything about birds. She was pretty wild. I can tell you that if the bird has lots of daily interaction with you, it will bond to you and become quite civilized. One thing I know: they need lots of contact with their humans, or they revert to wild. PeeGee is the boss of my house now. She really rules the roost. Regarding the noise issue, well they are tropical birds after all. PeeGee seems to have her noisy hour in late afternoon. She sits and talks to herself, jabbering, whistling and laughing. It doesn't bother me, it's a happy sound.
Jay

Post by Jay »

I'm a hobby breeder but I've kept three IRNs as pets and amazingly, all of them learned to talk between 6 to 12 months of age.

The ladies made excellent remarks and recommendations. But if you live in one of those Singapore HDB flats, the early morning and evening squawking may bother your neighbors depending on how pissy your neighbors get.

Have you been to the Jurong Bird Park? That's one of my favorite places there besides the Night Safari.
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Welcome to the board! I love the Night Safari, too!!

Ringies can be tempermental -- I was out of town for a couple of weeks and my girl would not have anything to do with me yesterday; this morning all is forgiven. Go figure! She is going through a pretty serious molt, which would make me grumpy too. However, she is probably the sweetest bird that I have. I hope you find a good source and have a chance to enjoy one of these babies.
MCS
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

Oh, yeah..........did I mention that the females are very hormonal? They get very cranky at certain times. I watch her body language so I don't get bitten. Smooth feathers and big pupils mean "I'm calm and lovey-dovey". Fluffed-up feathers and pulsating pupils mean "Back off". Then there's that funny mating dance she does, almost in a trance, where she wants to be petted.