eye pinning

Moderator: Mods

katraz

eye pinning

Post by katraz »

hey, are IRN's the only bird that can pin their eyes?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello katraz

Ringnecks are not the only parrots that pin their eyes. Amazons and grays are notorious for this behavior as well. Ringnecks pin their eyes for various reasons. I posted a picture of my parrot pinning its eyes. I’ll admit this is my favorite characteristic of ringnecks.

carrie

Post by carrie »

What a great photo! This is what my little fellow looks like when he 'shapes up' to me - usually accompanied by a few squawks, just so I know my place.....
katraz

Post by katraz »

nice pic... I like the way IRNs can pin there eyes too, thats one of the reasons I got an IRN.
colettec2000

IRNS pinning their eyes

Post by colettec2000 »

Does anyone know why irns pin their eyes like that? :?:
Mine does it all of the time, but mostly when I'm holding him/her.

Thanks,
COLETTE
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Thank you for those kind comments guys! I really like that picture too and I can’t ever get enough of Archimedes eyes.

Ringnecks pin their eyes for many reasons. The eyes are much like the facial expression of the parrot. For example, an excited ringneck will flash its eyes. If your ringneck is upset or angry, the feathers on its head will stand up and the eyes will pin. The list could go on and on for various emotions (Search pinning on the board).

I don’t know why their eyes pin, but if you can read your ringneck’s eyes well, then you’ll know what he means. I do! :shock:

Hope this helps and best wishes,

I.C.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Does eye pinning mean leaving one eye closed for a long time? My 8 wk old has had her left eye shut for over 12 hours now... WORRIED!
paddyowner

Post by paddyowner »

My Lutino, Paddy does this too! He 'shapes up' to me, and then starts banging his head! Anyone know why? It's so funny though! He has just started getting his red ring, and looks gorgeous! :lol:
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Mikaela

pining means dilating their pupils not closing one and leaving it closed. Is it swollen because if it is then it may be infected I had a lovebird that died due to an eye infection but it was very swollen and did like for 3 weeks with it but probably died a painful death so I would get it checked out if I were u. its not worth the risk. I don’t know why paddy bangs his head but it sound like a personal trait and very cute.
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

yeah,Mylo does the head banging thing as well and l don't know either,though it goes in tandem seriously when he pins his eye and l lower my head he follows by coming forward and l meet him to his beak with my nose and it start's again back and forward.Maybe l should stop playing Iron Maiden who l followed when l was young...he..he. :lol:
Greg, Mylo and the flock!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

IMR4N thanks... my baby girl is 10 weeks old and I havent seen her pin her eyes yet.

I figured out why she wasnt opening her eye. :cry: I had accidently shot formula into it while feeding her one day. It was only after I took action and grabbed her up, wiped the eye well with a wet cloth that I saw the formula. No wonder she up and weened herself in two days at 8 weeks old. Her Mama was trying to kill her she probably thought.

I bet she was like "Man this chick is clueless, *I* can do a better job than this feeding myself and keep my eyesight!!! :oops:
~ Mikaela Sky

shanc21

Re: eye pinning

Post by shanc21 »

I am intrigued by the photo. What does the wing spreading combined with the eye pinning mean? My ringneck does this to vacuum cleaner. I think she either is in love with it or wants to kill it - not sure which. She eye pins alot and it usually is not aggressive, but I've only ever seen the spread wings with it occasionally.

Shannon
LadyMostTimes

Post by LadyMostTimes »

shanc21 wrote:I am intrigued by the photo. What does the wing spreading combined with the eye pinning mean? My ringneck does this to vacuum cleaner. I think she either is in love with it or wants to kill it - not sure which. She eye pins alot and it usually is not aggressive, but I've only ever seen the spread wings with it occasionally.

Shannon
I would love to have the answer to this question also. My Makayla does this also
:-bd :o3

What? A bird site and no bird smilies.? :-?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

It's Not just anger, Ms Sanjay raises head feathers and pins when he is excited, if I ask "do you want a fig?" That's the cue!, as they don't have facial expressions, I think this is a warning signal or a happy one, depending on other body language and circumstances.