No touching!!!

Moderator: Mods

lutino

No touching!!!

Post by lutino »

I must have had my IRN for about 3 months now, making him/her 7.5 months old roughy. Lutino still doesnt trust me to touch his/her feathers and ive tried everything. The only time i can is when he/she goes into a complete trance in the shower, but then he/she is not aware of me touching him/her at all! Any ideas? I just get bitten if i want to pet lutino. He/she will sit on my hand,shoulder and everything but wont allow a touch :(
Also, since i dont know the sex, is this behaviour more indicative of a male, or female IRN? (OR JUST A PERSONAL THING)
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

The following are my experiences with my fids.

I tend to think the females are more prone to this, but then it could also be a personal thing. It could also be the age (bluffing). I would try what I did with Jordan, just grabbed his head firmly and kiss him, or what we did with kai to get him use to Human hands, place one hand making a big circle and the other hand holds a treat inside the circle, so your IRN has to put his head through the fingers to get the treat, as shown in the vid below:-

Jordan ended up a real cuddler as he got use to me just grabbing hold of him and kissing him, soon I could actually cuddle and kiss him. like in this video;-

Just keep trying and don't let him bluff you into not wanting to be handled, its kind of like making them do it even though they don't like it and soon they get use to it.

Hope this helps.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

its a trust thing i believe, they dont like too much hands either, it could just be who you baby is, he/she may get use to it or maybe do things slowly and give a treat for letting you do it he/she might get the idea.

Sorry not too much help but this is what we had to kinda do with Toby and Jade
Adam and Dude
pearl

Post by pearl »

Jordan ended up a real cuddler as he got use to me just grabbing hold of him and kissing him, soon I could actually cuddle and kiss him. like in this video;-

KYRIA THIS IS SO EXACTLY SAME WHAT I DO WITH MY ROSE
AND SHE IS SUCH A HUGGABLE KISSER AS WELL
ITS SO GOOD TO FIND OUT THAT AM NOT ALONE IN THIS SO CALLED MADNESS

MY HUSBAND SAYS I HAVE GONE CRAZY
BUT NOW MY ROSE HAS GOT SO USED TO MY HUGGING AND KISING SESSION THAT IF I DONT DO IT EVERY MORNING LIKE I DO
HER DAILY ROUTINE WONT START

LIKE TODAY ITS HALFTERM HOLLIDAYS FOR THE KIDS SO I DIDNT BOTHER WAKING UP AT SIX
BUT MY HUSBAND HAD TO AS HE GOES TO WORK AT SEVEN
AND FOR SOME REASON HE DECIDED THAT HE WILL LIFT UP THE BLANKET TODAY
AND BY THIS MY ROSE WAS NOT AT ALL HAPPY
SHE BECAME ALL NIPPY AND AGGRESSIVE WITH HIM

HEHEHEEHE :lol:

BEFORE GOING THOUGH HE VAME TO ME AND SAID
YOU HAVE GOT AMOODY LITTLE BIRD ON YOU AND HE DOESNT LIKE HER

BUT IT WAS HILARIOUS
I KNOW I HAVE SPOILT HER A LITTLE BIT
BUT MY DAY DOESNT STARTS WITHOUT HER HUGGS AND KISSES
julie

Post by julie »

some birds dont like to be touched in certain places, like indie doesnt like to be touched under his beak/breast area. Do you actually get bitten or does pearl just look like biting cause when I go to pat indie sometimes he opens his beak like he could bite and I just ignore it and pat him anyway.
pearl

Post by pearl »

julie wrote:some birds dont like to be touched in certain places, like indie doesnt like to be touched under his beak/breast area. Do you actually get bitten or does pearl just look like biting cause when I go to pat indie sometimes he opens his beak like he could bite and I just ignore it and pat him anyway.

when she was new she would let us pat her head only
when we would go a little near her chest or legs or wings she would make this irritating noise like grrr... grrr....
and then would bluff bite

now because i started to tame her and she started to trust me she lets me touch her everywhere and anywhere
it took three months
the trick was to understand when she is bluffing and ignoring it and when she is really angry and keeping a safe distance to avoid a nasty bite

well fingers crossed she hasnt bit me yet
but yaeh my other family members she doesnt trust and when they even come near her she starts to fluff up and all her feathers around the haed would be standing and eyes would be pinning and she would be making this grrr... grrrr...sound

and the best thing is that she calms down when i come along and start to talk to her and touch her then she is ok and lets others touch her but the min she works it out that its not my hand near her she starts to bite everyone
:lol:

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

aww she really loves !! that .. :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

How adorable! Rose looks like she is enjoying it.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Take the tough love approach when they are being stubborn or bluffing. Sounds harsh but it works if you keep persisting.

I think that every birdy has a different tolerance for where you are allowed to touch them. Just like some people are too ticklish in different spots!
For my Jibby its his belly.

Rose is so adorable. She must really enjoy being with you Pearl!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

does anyone else feed her or is it only you? It does sound like she loves you but you only. If I tried to pat indie like that I would probably loose a finger.
pearl

Post by pearl »

julie wrote:does anyone else feed her or is it only you? It does sound like she loves you but you only. If I tried to pat indie like that I would probably loose a finger.

NO THATS THE FUN PART
SHE ONLY LETS ME TOUCH HER LIKE THAT
AND MY HUBBY AND KIDZ ARE SO JEALOUS :lol: :lol: :lol:

I SIMPLY LOVE IT :D

AS A MATTER OF FACT SHE HAS ACTUALLY STARTED REPLYING ME WHEN I CALL HER BY THIS CAT SOUND
LIKE MEOOOWWW
AND I DONT KNOW WHERE SHE HAS LEARNT IT FROM
BUT EVERY TIME I CALL HER SHE DOES THAT SOUND AND PUTS HER HEAD DOWN AS IN TELLING ME COME AND GIVE ME A SCRITCH
ITS FUNNY LOL