eclectus parrots

Moderator: Mods

sonic70

eclectus parrots

Post by sonic70 »

hi im intressted in getting a eclectus parrot and i was wondering when they start hatching and when do they start breeding. and i was also wondering what there temperment is like.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Not 100 % on the hatching a breeding, but most of Aust. bird breeding season begins late July - August. Handraised babies would be ready to go around December, but you can always put down a deposit on a hatchling and wait for it to be ready for you.

Ekkies are the most amazing docile creatures, highly intelligent and a joy to have as a pet. Males are alot more placid than the females as far as my experience goes, as it is with most birds.

Let us know how you go :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

thanx for that um if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for your eclectus.
julie

Post by julie »

There is a breeder who I got 2 of my ringnecks from that has hand raised ekkies for sale, from memory they are $700.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I don't have an ekkie, but I visit one called patty regularly at my friends who is a breeder.

Julie is right .. around $700, you can look on http://petlink.com.au
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

From what Ive heard they are very docile and they love independence like the IRN.

I've seen Ekkies range from $700 - $1000. That petlink website it great for finding a new friend. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Not sure about Aus, but there are far too many birds looking for new homes up in the States -- so it may be worth checking around if you have the patience to build the bonds with a fid with a "past"
MCS
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I LOVE my ekkies...the boys are so very sweet and loving.

My Mikey is a trusting soul. He will let me do anything to him. I highly recommend an ekkie to anyone, so long as they can provide them the diet they require

Dani
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

thanx for everything guys i have found a breeder that we got our irn from. which is a score coz she is a excelent breeders and she isnt in it for the money she duz it for the love and passion of her animals. now hear is the fun part trying to think of a name and gender of our new baby that we will get when they are available cant wait... any suggestions on names or any thing the fave atm is pepsi,narnia,poppit.

and what gender would you say is the best for a ekkie
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I love eclectus parrot and I wish I can buy one, the green eclectus have such an innocent cute face!
julie

Post by julie »

catschair2 wrote:Not sure about Aus, but there are far too many birds looking for new homes up in the States -- so it may be worth checking around if you have the patience to build the bonds with a fid with a past"

We dont have as many rescue birds in Aus, most times they find new homes pretty quick. I have 2 budgies that a woman I work with was going to let go so I took them in but we rarely see rescue birds.