Something strange

Moderator: Mods

Newbirdmom

Something strange

Post by Newbirdmom »

Well my frined went and got some cockatiels, 2 green cheeks, 2 quakers and a blue indian ringneck. No they all are babies needing to be heand fed 2-3 times a day. In a matter of 2 weeks or so the ringneck and 3 chockatiels are dead. She has no clue why but they all act the same way. This is what she said they did befor they all passed.

eyes shrunken & shruken feathers croup area never full....no appetite sleepy foul smell to the vent.

I want to see what might have happened to the birds and could it be passed to the 2 green cheeks and 2 quakers left. I am just trying to help her find out what happen on of the cockateils where going to come live with me. I just feel bad that this happened.
Donna

Post by Donna »

How old were these babies? It sounds like they were very young if the feathers were not grown over the crop yet. Did she use a syringe to feed these babies? If so she might have gotten the formula down in the respiratory track.
For your own birds safty I would not handle these birds at all. The live ones need to see an avian vet asap and a necropsy done to the dead ones.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Donna

Post by Donna »

Another thing I might add is when handfeeding multiple babies always use a different syringe and formula for every baby. You may have one sick baby and not using good hygene and clean tools you can pass it to every baby.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

They where from any age from like 4 weeks to like 8 weeks old. Yes I think she did use a syringe. She is far from me about a 4hr drive or so. I don't see her just talk to her on the phone. I will tell her about cleaning the tools and get seperate syrines. I don't think she kept the bodies of the birds. I just wanted to see if there was something going around. She did say she didn't think the asperated(sp).
Donna

Post by Donna »

I feel very sorry for your friend. But I would tell her to quartentine the remaining babies until she can get them to a vet. I'm assuming she has other birds. It's pretty common for one baby to die for no reason but to have 3 die within a 2 week period I'm thinking someone sold your friend some pretty sick babies and she should contact them to make them aware of the problem.

Please keep us posted

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

That is so sad, I am sorry to hear this happened.

Its hard to tell without more information, like what hand raising mix she used, how it was prepared, where she kept the babies, or without pictures, and without knowing the breeder and what the babies looked like when they first arrived home etc. There are so many things that can go wrong with hand raising babies, especially if you don't have a reputable or well known breeder to buy from.

As Donna said she should keep those babies remaining far from any of her own birds and get them checked with an avian vet as soon as she can.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh no, so sorry this happened to your friend.

Yes please quarantine the remaining birds. ASAP. To find out if any of them are sick.

What a tradedy. :( Do keep us updated.

Lauren
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year