FEED - SUNFLOWER KERNELS

Moderator: Mods

Topaz

FEED - SUNFLOWER KERNELS

Post by Topaz »

Please can anyone advise me as to whether I am able to feed sunflower kernels to my Alexandrine? I bought some at the supermarket the other day thinking it would be great, but then found an article about seeds that made me wonder - I feel that it would be OK in view of the fact that the birds eat the full sunflower seed, but would like to know if I should perhaps cook it a little bit?

Any advice would be terrific.

Also, how do you get tiels to start eating fresh food and vegies, I have tried all sorts of things, and they just turn their little beaks up at it?

Topaz
Anne
controlled by:
2 Poodles, 1 Maltese, 1 tiel, 3 INR's
Oh & a hubby
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Sunflower seeds are ok as a treat...or a little part of a regular diet. They are very high in fat...

No you don't need to cook or shell them! Just hand them one...they know what to do :wink:

Dani
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

birdie junk food....and they love them as much as I do my chocolate covered pretzels...... yum!
MCS
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

only grey striped, not black sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are not only high in fat but can cause aggression , so if they become feisty cut the sunflower seeds.

Our tiel kiely, began to eat when she was allowed to spend time with the IRN at the communal bowl in the lounge (monitored of course). Also if we put a plate of food and pick at it with our fingers, like we are eating it, she joins in. Basically they copy the flock :wink: and learn to like the foods.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

When I got the two new birds she gave me some seed and it nothing but sunflower seeds in it. Oscar doesn't get any at all not even as a treat. So I gave the seed she gave to the rats and the new ones eat Oscar's feed. It is good to know that it causes aggession now I will stay away 100% from them. I just heard that they are aditive.
Donna

Post by Donna »

All ringnecks get nippy and have bad days but I don't think the sunflowers have anything to do with it. Sunflower seeds is their junk food just like potato chips is ours let them enjoy them once in awhile. :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I agree once in a while is ok, but there is study showing that they do infact increase their aggression. Advice amongst all bird owners if they have a viscious pet is to cut sunflower seeds immediately.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless