Wild fire in FL

Moderator: Mods

Newbirdmom

Wild fire in FL

Post by Newbirdmom »

I live in Fl and today it is very smoky from the wild fire. I have my windows down and ac on. It still looks smokey in the house you can smell the wood burning out side infact the street and cars are covered in soot. Is there something I can do to make sure my birds are ok? I don't want anything to happen to them.

Currie
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

I would reccomend turning the ac off, because it is just blowing the smoke from outside in. I would get keep the windows shut and turn some fans on. I am sorry to hear about the wild fire :cry:
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

The problem with that is it is like 90 hear and in the house it would just get too hot. I have chinchillas that would die in this heat. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place luck the smoke will be clearing soon we hope.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yes, turn the ac off. Summer over here was bad too with fires. I had to shut all the doors and windows and put fans on. Is there somewhere in the house that isnt so smokey? Like a bathroom? Maybe put them in there for a while? I also misted the fids a few times a day and made sure they had plenty of water close by but they were panting alot and was quite worried. They pulled though though.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

We had exactly the same thing here in Aust over our summer. The smoke was thick and I was so concerned for my fids. We put wet towels under the door gaps in the bird room and covered the cages with damp sheets, was sad to keep them locked up for those days but it was better for them. They pulled through ok. Good luck sweetie.

I'll be in Florida in 14 days ! woohoo... sorry just a little excited to be going back again.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

I have been known to put the wet towels over the AC vents (though I have mega filters in the furnace/AC to keep all the bird feathers and dander in check)
MCS
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

I will remember that if the wids change again and it head this way. This is the second time this week. I am going to change the filter and I did mist the birds but they seemed fine. I would turn off the ac but my other pets would die. I have 5 chinchillas that would get over heated very fast. I will try the towels also thank you
Ed Loschi

If you have Central HVAC Kepp the AC on!

Post by Ed Loschi »

KEEP THE AC ON!!

Most central HVAC systems use reblower units. The compressor is outside and it sends the cooling fluid into the blower; the compressor does not send in outside air.

If you have window AC units then turn them off, they bring in outside air.

I'm in Tallahassee, Florida and there are alot of wild fires near here practically surrounding us. The worst wildfire is in the Okeefenokee (sp) Swamp which is about 140 miles from here, and 25 or so miles north of Jacksonville, but when the wind turns we get the smoke; today it is really bad and thick.

But anyway...If you have central AC keep it on. If you have window ac t
turn them off.
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

Yes I got central AC today the winds did shift and it is clear. I hope we get rain soon.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Praying for rain for you !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

keep the ac on but get good filters for the intake...we have had a LOT of smoke here in N FL as well but it is not as bad today.
faust1200

Post by faust1200 »

I would recommend (not just for fires) a HEPA filter for your AC. If it gets very bad perhaps try putting birdies in a small room with a portalble air ionizer/air filter.