Considering A Ringneck

Moderator: Mods

rchyrch

Considering A Ringneck

Post by rchyrch »

Hello- I am just a guest here, but I hope to be a memeber if I indeed purchase a ringneck. Anyway, here goes my question.... I had a quaker that I loved dearly but couldnt stand the well known quaker screaming, her volume was so lound that you couldnt talk on the phone or hear the tv and she screamed just about all day long, no matter what I did for her, and after long debate, I found her another home. I really miss having a feathered friend and I am researching different breeds to see which one might be well suited to my home. I really love IRN's and I am supposed to go look at one tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with quakers and ringnecks that can compare the noise of the two. It seems I am finding conflicting information on the internet, I hope someone here can help me. Thanks in advance!!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Well I commend you for doing your research! Most people purchase parrots on impulse before doing any research.

I can tell you that ringnecks are noisy indeed! They start to squawk early in the morning, noon, and before bed time.

I am sorry and I know it’s probably not the answer you wanted to hear. If you are looking for a quiet parrot I would go with a senegal parrot. They make very good pets and are very quiet.

Hope this helps and good luck on your search!
:wink:
I.C.
yasmel

IRN/quaker

Post by yasmel »

Well let me say that i myself have around 17 quakers. You would just imagine how noisy they get. anyways i have IRN as also. In comparison of course between a IRN and a quaker i say that a quaker is much noisier bird the reason dont know. But the IRN stays much quiet around the day. A few squawk in between but mostly not as much noisy as a quaker is.
colettec2000

IRNS and noise

Post by colettec2000 »

HI,
I have an IRN that is 5 months old, he isn't too noisy. He will squawk in the morning , noon, and just before bedtime like Ringneck said. But to me it isn't unbearable. I had cockatiels and they were worse, they never shut up. My husband couldn't stand them too much. He likes this one much better. That's just my opinion. :lol:

Thanks,
COLETTE
doremon

Post by doremon »

Hi! I have a cockatiel and IRN. Have to agree with colettec2000 that cockatiel can be noisier. IRNs are certainly louder, but they do not squawk all day long. Most of the day, they are pretty quiet (surprisingly!) and if they can talk, they will tend to talk than squawk. It is much more pleasant hearing them talk then screaming or squawking. On the other hand, my cockatiel makes all sort of noises. Even though he is not loud, it can also be quite irritating as he is very persistent and can go on and on and on. Even my IRN cannot stand it and have to peck at him to shut up.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Doremon
Libby_D

Post by Libby_D »

I have one of each, harley is still a baby and doesnt mke too much noise yet, but i met his parents at the breeders house, and MY GOD! you'd a thought the fire deparment had once used them for sirens! But every bird is diffrent. My quaker is actually pretty quite, except in the morning when he wants his breakfast he does scream, and then occasionally a squawk everyonce in a while.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

i think birds are only noisey if they have been with other birds previously and do tend to call for them. but that is the whole point of having such birds they show how they are feeling through the sounds they make. i only get woken by mine in the morning noy much sound during the day though. would you want a friend that could talk or communicate with you in any way or a dog that could'nt bark?

at the end of the day the choice is yours no matter what type of bird you get it will make sum sort of noise during sum time of the day. ring neck is spot on with the staement about the senegal parrot they are quiet but do make noise now and then. they are very trusting of every one though but you want sumthing more faithfull. i would recommend a afemale IRN which is faithfull to her owner and is not as noisey as the male. she will usually only call if she hears other birds. if you are looking for a larger bird then you could get a Alexandrine ring neck Parakeet they are 2 to 3 times as large.

here is a site which shows sum of the Mutaions "colour combinations" you can get in the IRN just click on the link below.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/Mutations/P-krameri.htm
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

Great site IMR4N,thanks for sharing.Amazed on the different mutations in IRN. :D
Greg, Mylo and the flock!