ringneck or alexandrine

Moderator: Mods

boxy003

ringneck or alexandrine

Post by boxy003 »

i wonder whether i shud get an irn or an alexandrine....i wanna know the difference in their talking ability first...so all of u...help me...sum people say that alexandrine is a better talker than ringnecks....i wanna know the truth....please tell me more abt the differences in their talking abilities.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Firstly, You shouldn't buy a bird based on their talking ability. Not all birds talk. And we shouldn't expect them to.

Secondly, Only buy a bird if you can give the proper care and attention they need.

Thirdly, You also need to do some research before bringing one home.

So please do not buy a bird for their talking ability. Many people fall for them because they 'can' talk. But soon realise its not all what they expected and give the bird away just because 'it didn't talk'. Would you do this to a human child? You cannot force a bird to talk. Its up to them. They are each individuals and have their own personalities. Just like us.

Don't mean to be sound harsh. But thats how it is.

I also deleted your other post because you only need to ask once. Someone will see it over here.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
boxy003

hi

Post by boxy003 »

hey i just wanna kno the difference in their talkin abilities....i wanna kno the one with the best potential....
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Both species are remarkable talkers. An IRN is said to be able to learn around 250 words and phrases. They are very intelligent birds. But of course not all 'can talk'.

My Jibby is almost 7 years and says a few words but mostly muddled up. I don't care. He gives me companionship and a relationship nothing can beat, he makes me laugh, cry and hes pulled me through some tough years. I love everything about my birds. Wouldn't trade them for anything. :wink: I just want you and other people to see that they are beautiful in there own right.
boxy003

Post by boxy003 »

ya thanx....i do appreciate their beauty...not only ringnecks, i have even helped my friends to handfeed injured finchs which were thrown outta nest.....can u pls tell me more....is there any difference between the talking abilities of ringnecks and alexandrines....did u handfeed jibby?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

No I didnt hand feed him. But he was quite relaxed when we got him. I'm guessing he was hand raised. But I'm not sure, he could of just been a relaxed birdy. :lol: I got him when he was a few months old. My baby Yoda was not hand reared and is still a lil timid around humans. He/she is almost 7 months now and we've had he/she since november. Yoda already says 'chicky yeeeah' (which he learnt off Jibby) and is trying 'I love you'.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Well said Chicky (hope you don't mind me calling you that its way easier).

I do understand your desire to choose a bird with the best potential for what you desire. But as Chicky says, you can never guarantee a bird will talk. In the bird world generally boys talk better than girls, and with IRN's you cannot tell what your fid will be until approx. two years of age. Also note if you are fond of the ring around the neck, only the males get that also.

Being from the same family Psittacula I would assume they (IRN'S and Alex's) would have the same abilities as each other. The Alexandrine is a much larger bird than the Indian Ringneck and you should consider that their voice is also much louder. Their contact call can be very piercing, a ringnecks is bad enough, but I have heard aviary Alexandrines and they outdo an IRN hands down for volume.

I hear you are thinking of buying a baby IRN next week was it ? Make sure you spend lots of time with it and are ready for plenty of repetative talking to train speach. I sometimes get sick of my own voice, and that stupid Eine Kleine Nacht Musik I whistle over and over to Jordan. But he has learnt it and others absolutely love hearing it, actually I enjoy when i hear Jordan whistle it, I am just sick of hearing myself whistle it. LOL

Anyway .. good luck on your choice. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Please don't buy a bird just for it's potential to mimic, or even partly for it's potential to mimic, some ringnecks will talk, some won't, the same goes for any special of parrot, even birds renowned for their talking ability like CAGs.
Choose a bird and admire it for the ways in which it is different from a human being, not for how it can be like one.
IRNs and other parrots have so much to offer as companions, over and above the possibility that they will talk.
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

Thank you Mandy, I was hoping someone would state what you stated in a kind way.
My IRN, Indie, is going on 10 months and does not talk yet, says plenty of bird words but nothing human yet, sometimes I think I hear him/her say something, but s/he doesn't repeat it, so I don't know if it was what I thought I heard or not. I am sure s/he will talk one day, as Indie seems to try but if it never happens I am totally ok with just the bird talk.
After all I bought Indie for how beautiful s/he is and for his/her personality, and to give Indie a great home.

I hope you do think a little more about your purchase before you just do it, so many birds are rehomed because they do not met the owners expectations. Just some friendly advise. :lol:
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

if your a first time bird owner then i dont c how you can buy a bird for it's personality... that takes time and generaly u only get the time once you've bought him/her. so i dont get y everyoneis saying you shud buy a bird for it's personality...
i understand that u shudn't b thinking bout talking ability but i believe a bird (or human) is born as a clean slate. and experience in life make it who it is, personaly i bought Jaws cos he's bright yellow and the green ones looked a bit ordinary... they all came up to bite my finger through the bars and all showed the same amount of agresiveness....
Jaws looked like every other ringneck at the petshop so i couldnt posibly have seen any of his "personality"
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

dont wana sound like i'm saying Jaws is ordinary(no bird is) but now that he's with me and we've spent time together i no what he's like. if i cud go bak i wouldn't have changed my choice. he's a great bird even if he dusnt talk that much. and i supose he'll talk more with time...
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

By personality we are meaning it's individuality and traits as a bird, the unique things that make a bird a bird, you don't buy a parrot and expect it to act like a dog or hamster, parrots have common traits in behaviour etc that make them unique, this is what we are asking any potential owner to fully appreciate rather than buying a parrot in the hope it will talk. The more individual aspects of personality develop over the lifetime of the bird and are heavily influenced (but not entirely due) to the way the bird is raised.
Anyone who has handreared a clutch of chicks knows that they are all individuals, even at 3 weeks of age they will act and react differently to things. Yes a parrots experiences influence it, for good and bad but genetics also play a part in what kind of companion the bird will be.
Human siblings can be raised in the same way by the same parents but don't all turn out exactly the same.
All I'm asking any potential owner to do as appreciate the bird for being a bird. If a parrot learns to talk it's a bonus, love it for what and who it is irrespective, there are too many birds that end up in rescue or worse, shut in a cage their whole lives, ignored because they didn't or couldn't live up to their owners unrealistic expectaions.
I'm not aiming this only at boxy, it's a message that anyone considering sharing their lives with a companion parrot should give some though to.
Last edited by Mandy on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

yeh i no they are all individuals but i think its imposible to c that when u first see the bird. they all looked the same to me when i was there. thou i;m sure they wernt.
i believe in a clean slate, i dont think genetics have a role in personality but i dont no a thing about genetics. maybe il change my mind but im the sorta prsn that wont acept anything unless its in front ov me...

yeh i no its sad when birds dont have anywere to go cos ov iresposible owners i wasnt saying anything against taking time and acepting consequences. actualy i dont even no y im talkin about all this. it has nothing to do with the topic...

Ps look at the thing bout budgie adoption i just put under "adoption/lost and found."
i'm hungry for a reply!
boxy003

Post by boxy003 »

cumon i am n experienced bird owner. i love them for their personality but i wanna know whether alexandrines r generally better talkers compared to ringnecks.
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

Dont ask me i wudnt no.
apart from Jaws i only eva had a budgie as a kid
but i'd say aleanxrines are probly beter talkers, just cos they are biger. but i'v lern in my life that size dusnt matter...
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:roll: Boxy, You got our replys. And some really good ones so please think about it.