tail feather problems

Moderator: Mods

Milamber3790

tail feather problems

Post by Milamber3790 »

Ok so since parrots are not normaly ground animals. iv been noticing that Jaws bends heeps of tail feathers wile he prowls around the house...
it seems prity fuitile but just in case there is sum miraculous wayof stoping him prom looking like a hobo i have to ask...
is there??
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

not that I know of. Eventually they get pretty good at swinging and lifting their tails and perching where there is enough room for it. Until then you will see bends, lost feathers and even (as in jordans case) dirty tails, his tail is pale to white and underneath it really gets grey and dirty. Bathing and preening fixes this but not for long. General house dust etc. :roll: stupid road works.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

When I brought Yoda home from the breeder he had a dirty tail, I gave Yoda a luke warm shower and cleaned him up a lil. I think Yoda just looked a bit dirty because he was in an outside avairy with his parents, brothers and sisters. Now Yoda really loves a shower or bath in his water bucket and baths himself every morning. Jibby is always looking clean. Hes always preening and making himself pretty. I dont think Ive ever seen him looking like a 'hobo'! hehe :lol:

Try luke warm showers? Does Jaws like to bath himself?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

yeh he baths a lot in his water bowl, but he hates showers. he wont bath in a bowl of water cos he cant grip on anything and its a bit too deep, iv tried plates but he dusnt go near them...
i'v been trying to find a sort of shalow tray for him. one that i can fit in his cage so that he can get rite in. his water bowl is too smal for him to bath anything but his head in...
sometimes i have to chuk him in the shower with the nozel on so that it drips on him. but he usualy jumps ba on my shoulder...
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

:roll: I have been trying for ages to get my babies to bath in an actual bowl or bird bath or the shower with me or the hand basin or the sink, you name it..

I have spent hours trying to make it interesting for them, I have tried different colour bowls, clear bowls, low edge bowl, fat and thin edge bowls, bowls made from different materials, playing in it myself, leaving them to it on their own (incase they are shy .. lol ) and they just won't have it. I have even placed toys in the bowl to temp them in but no go ..

There was only once that jordan attempted it and really didn't ever try it again. Although they do try to bath in their drinking "D" trays, looks so stupid, trying to fit themselves in there. And they come out with a damp head, little bit of the chest and one foot.. lol

So Its up to me to go in there every other day or so, take them all onto one bird stand and spray the lot of them :roll: what a pain.

Any suggestions for getting them to liking an actual bath, other than a spray, or am I just stuck with it.

Sorry to Hi-Jack your post Milamber :?
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Ed Loschi

clean e'm up!

Post by Ed Loschi »

You need to give ur fid a TT shower, that is a toes and tail shower; it's smilar to a PTA shower for women or a CPA for men.
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

My Indie gives himself baths in his water bowl on a daily basis. But on the weekends, we have a shower together routine. He wasn't too keen of the idea at first, but seems to be coming around to it more and more. Of course I reward him after the shower for being such a good birdie (so maybe thats why he is so willing to comply?)
I had bought one of those shower perches that suction cup on, but it kept falling off the wall, so I had my husband fix it so it wouldn't fall off. I shower and sing to Inide and he sits on his perch towards the end of the tub so he just gets spray.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

My fids love to bath themselves in the water bucket. They did from day one. I bought a bucket just big enough to fit them in it but not deep enough for them to drown. I tried giving Jibby a shower but he only likes to sit in the bathroom while I shower! :roll: Yoda is young, all I have to do is pick him up and put him under a warm shower. I guess some birdys like to bath and some don't.

On hot days, I do have to mist them several times a day because for some reason they wont bath on hot days.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Hiya Toxic good to see you back around darlin :wink: *hugz*

Well I will just have to keep trying I guess. It might just happen, but for now I have to put up with stiff trigger finger ..sigh!
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

i was thinking just straying him lightly with one of those window washer things full of water...
havnt tried it yet tho...