s*x concern

Moderator: Mods

addicknchips

s*x concern

Post by addicknchips »

hi all. i sent pics of my irn to the breeder i got him from today. my irn is 2 years old in april. the breeder shocked me by saying that she thinks that by the picture he is actually a she! he does have a slight black ring around his neck and it has some pink at the back of this. however, the breeder says that if he was a male he would have a ring as dark as those showed on this home page. can anyone advise me on this? cheers
JHowes
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

i dont know much about rings, and neither of my babies have them (or are even old enough to) but from what i HAVE learnt on here, it can take anywhere upto 3 years for the full ring to come in. Having a slight bit of black around the neck as you say would make me think male, as i havent seen any females with black rings, only differing shades of their own colours. Of course, someone could come along at any time and say how totally wrong i am lol, but this is how i see it. lol
something to ponder though perhaps?
got any piccies to share with us too? lol that could help a lil too :)
addicknchips

Post by addicknchips »

im still convinced Floyd IS a boy. But thought that my breeder would have a better idea than i do. im at work at the mo, so will try and post some pics of him when i get home. cheers
JHowes
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Some birds can take a little longer to begin to get their ring in, I would not assume anything until just over 3 years of age, unless you see definate male/female behaviour. If you don't want to DNA test and you want more of a guess, look for behaviour.

Mik wrote up a sticky on DNA and I posted some behaviour vids of my birds to help others look out for behaviour patterns to determine sex. This is the link to the post - http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... php?t=2960

Also a Post that has pics of my kai , which will give you an idea of how the ring might begin to appear. - http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... php?t=3993 (scroll down on this post)

Kai didn't "begin" to get his ring until just "over" 24 months. Then Jordan my lutino has his full red ring and he is only 19 months

Hope this helps.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'd wait another moult. Might come in darker. My Jibbys ring seems to get a lil darker each year.

The only real way to tell a IRNs sex is through DNA, but your bird is 2 years old and you should find out hopefully within another year. But I would wait for another moult.

I cannot wait to find out Yodas sex. I keep picking up on 'signs' but I cant make a judgments yet. Too early. Ohhh, but ya just want to KNOW! DNA is the only way.. or time. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Well, I know that some hens do get a slight neck ring. They dont get a dark black one though. I have NEVER seen or heard of a hen having the pink part of the ring. Two of my hens only have the bottom part of the ring and it is a light, very light but very noticable grey. If I had to guess, I would say HE is a boy. But sadly it is a guess and the best thing to do is like PsittaculaChick said, give it time or have him DNA tested. Good luck.