Blue IRN

Moderator: Mods

Hestia

Blue IRN

Post by Hestia »

FGM your blue IRN is beautiful. Who else here has a blue?
you were saying in the "introduce yourself " It has taken over two years for my Jangles to get the start of black feathers,its very exciting when it happens. Jangles always had the shade of a ring like your Indie.
I am actually glad to hear that, cause I was wondering if I was just seeing what I wanted to see or if the ring on blues vs. greens starts to come in differently. Cause my Indie sure does act like a boy, he does the male dance to his bell and other toys, but he is still very young, just turned 8 months old.
How old is your Jangles?
I just love coming on here and reading everyones questions, answers and stories. My Indie is such a hoot, and has brought me so much laughter. I can not believe how much personally is stuffed into these little creatures, gets me everytime.
Let me ask just a general question, how do you guys get such wonderful pictures? as my Indie seems to be very camera shy and I have the hardest time getting really good pictures/videoes of him. anyone have some advice, as I would love to get some close-ups one of these days.

Sorry everything I wrote is so random, I am just very excited to post and also see Jangles another blue :D who looks much like my Indie.
Last edited by Hestia on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Here's a photo of my blue breeders.

Female do have a hint of a light color ring but never black!

Hestia

Post by Hestia »

Donna, do you have any close up pictures of your female, and also of the male?
FGM

Post by FGM »

Hi Hestia,Jangles is about 2 years old,not completely sure on his age.
He also carries the cinnamon gene and his sister was grey.I got him from a local breeder that doesn't ring or anything but he has always been healthy and full of life.I have read that it can take up to 3 years for their ring to come through.
Birds are just amazing animals,they are my favorite.Have you got pics of your blue bird?
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

I do have pictures of my blue Indie, they are located on my website. http://www.aquiltingwewillsew.com/page0/page0.html
I have a hard time getting them, and taking close-ups, he turns his head just about everytime or the picture turns out blurry. but I keep trying. I am just waiting for the day when he finally figures out that the camera isn't going to hurt him. Cause he is so funny and I want to be able to capture that.

I hope I am not sounding real dumb here...
But can anyone please explain the cinnamon to me, I hear/see it all the time, but I guess I don't understand or get it. what shade is it, or does it add. I would never be able to pick one out on my own, I only know it has a cinnamon color to it cause someone says it does. how can you tell if it has cinnamon in it?
Donna

Post by Donna »

No sorry no close ups of the breeders, They always run in the nest box when I have the camera in my hand. But search the photo section cause there's a few members that have photo's of their birds just starting to ring out. Mikaela has some great pics of Baby when he was starting to ring.

Donna :D
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I believe that some people say even the females have a slight faint ring. 2 years is about the time the males get 'the ring'.

I also have a blue, Yoda. He/she is 6 months and has a very faint ring. But who knows if he is a she, or she is a he. :wink:

Yoda is camera shy aswell. But Ive been snapping pics of Jibby for 6 years and hes become quite the poser! I think they just have to get used to the camera.

"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Very beautiful! :D
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Magellan is blue, has a "shadow" of a ring. I don't know how old she is, so may surprise me and be a he some day. Think I have created a monster .... she actually seems to pose for the camera. The little red eye reduction light blinks and she stands up and gives it a nice attitude. Good thing it is a digital, or I could be in the poorhouse!
MCS
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Some hens do get a light ring. I have a Cinnamon Turquoiseblue hen that doesnt have a ring, but I have an other hen that does. Here is an example of my Turquoise Grey hen. She is 4 years old. The ring isnt as dark as that of a male, but for a while I thought I had an juv. boy. She is proven and is on eggs.(She is a girl) :)

Here is a pic of my Cinnamon Turquoiseblue Hen with her Albino Male

Hestia-- Cinnamon gives birds a bit of a brownish tinge, making them look a bit lighter. Their color becomes more pastel rather than bright, in some mutations. Psittaculaworld.com has great examples of a lot of mutations including cinnamon, check them out at http://home.tiscali.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... aWorld.htm

Regards,
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

When I was first going to buy an IRN as a total novice then, I pointed at some of the birds in the aviary. On the blues, I saw what looked like a youngster with a dark shadow around its neck, like this would become a ring, I said to the breeder, "oh wow is that one going to be a boy?", she said.. "No, thats the breeding female" :oops:

I have learnt alot in the last 2 and a half years. :D and am still learning.

I have a blue (male), two lutino's (male and female) and a Green (only 4 months old I kept from a handraised bunch I had last season).

IRN's will usually begin to ring in at 2 yrs and finish by 3 yrs. Its all so exciting and always an impatient wait.

If your little darlin is showing male dance/behaviour then its pretty certain, mine all showed male behaviour very early and I know my green (only 5 months old) is also a male from his behaviour, actually he displayed it just after fledging, when he was introduced back into the flock and he faced up to Jordan and Pickle still has it over Jordan, cheeky boy.

Kai starting to ring in at just over 24 months, for kai it started just under the beak.

his next molt saw his full ring in only a few months later, but it can take up to 3 years of age to get the full ring in.

Kai full ring

apologies the flash makes the blue look slightly greenish.

My lutino Jordan began early and almost has his full red ring in at age 19 months

This is just beginning and started like a blood spot on the side of his neck
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

oooooo PURDIES!!!!
Those boys are stunning.
I was talkin with a guy at work 2nite about ringnecks, said he didnt have any, but knew a woman with about 30 breeders. Said hed had experience breeding birds before though, but said hed wait till retirement to do it again lmao.
But one thing he said got me thinking... and its on the ring topic.
He said :
That in a way, both baby and arci are albinos in a sense.
That ALBINO comes from the 'blue' line, and LUTINO comes from the 'green' line.
I got too thinking about this.. and my thoughts are... albino, in the sense of the word, is no colour pigments, totally white with the red/pinkish eyes.
Sooooo how could a lutino be considered any way to be an albino, when it goes against the whole idea of the word. Is he fulla ****? lmao or is there some logic to this, absurd sounding claim lol
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

OOOOhhhhh they are all so beautiful.
thank you all for such insightful information, I have just had certain feeling from the beginning that Indie was a boy, I know I wont know for sure until he hits full maturity, and I will be very surprised if he turns out to be a she. I just love hearing about everyones bird stories and how they acted before they hit their full sexual maturity. I guess I am looking for clues to see if I can figure out whats what. anyhoo....

So it is the cinnamon that gives them the pastel shades, I was wondering where those light beautiful pastel colors where coming from, they are so pretty.

love the pictures, they are all such cuties.

:lol:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Hestia .. for hints concerning behaviour have you read this post, I use to be logged in as Angie but can't any longer. But a few months ago I posted examples of behaviour, take a look and watch out for it. Mostly you can only tell if they exhibit male behaviour

http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2960

As for the guy being fulla .. I don't know much about genetics but lutino's are part of the ino line (albino, cremino, lutino etc.) as my understanding goes they are all strains that loose pigment to some degree, eg. the lutino has lost the black ring but kept the red that accompanies the ring (as in the greens ring being black with a red flash). Thats why the lutino ring only encompasses the back and sides and not under the chin.

Again I know very little about genetics other than my breeding pair of blue and yellow produced green.. lol .. fancy that :wink:

Jeremy would be a great one to pm on this. He is a total Wiz at all this stuff.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hestia...

That is correct. Lutino is the Albino "Version" of the Green Strand.

kyria...

If I'm doing this correct, breeding one of your females, which should be Green/Blue, to a Turquoiseblue cock would give you Blue, Turquoiseblue, Green/Blue, and Green/Turquoiseblue boys and girls. If you breed one of your boys, which should be Green/Blue/Lutino, to a Blue Hen, you should get Green/Blue, Green/Blue/Lutino, Blue, and Blue/Albino boys& Green/Blue, Lutino/Blue, Blue, and Albino Girls.
If you breed them with an Albino hen you will get, Green/Blue/Luitno, Lutino/Blue, Blue/Albino, and Albino boys and Green/Blue, Lutino/Blue, Blue, and Albino Girls. I hope this is right.---Jeremy? depois?

Regards,
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

it was me that asked about the ablino/lutino thing.
id never heard of it before. but theres a lot i havent heard lol.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Albinism (Ino) means absence of melanin in the feathers, eyes, and superficial soft tissues. Lutinos, Albinos and Creaminos fall into that category.

Lutinos and Creaminos however contain another pigmentation called psittacin. Psittacins are sometimes called Luteins, so this is where the word Lutino came from. Psittacins are responsible for the yellow feather color and pinkish ring pigmentation on males.

Albinism (Ino gene) does not remove the psittacin pigmentation. That would be the job of the Blue mutation. Albino birds contain the Blue and Ino mutation which will make it devoid of surface melanin and psittacin, hence a White bird.

The skin and eyes of Inos are pinkish mainly because of direct and reflected coloration of hemoglobin found in blood vessels.

No living creature, including Albinos, are completely devoid of melanin. Melanin serves other body functions and is found in the brain (embryonic neural crest) and other vital organs. Total absence of melanin cannot support life.

Summary:
Albino = No melanin + no psittacin
Creamino = No melanin + partial psittacin
Lutino = No melanin + full psittacin

Rick, all your color predictions above are correct. Way to go dude.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

thanks for clearing that up .. :D
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Sweet!!! Thanks for the help depois. We can NEVER learn too much :)