What age **DO YOU** think'babies' should be brought home?

Moderator: Mods

ambros1a

What age **DO YOU** think'babies' should be brought home?

Post by ambros1a »

Just wondering... what 'baby' age should a young ringneck be brought home? to an inexperienced owner i mean.. coz i read of everyone gettin their babies, and theyre like 3-4 months. Archimedes was only (supposedly) 8 weeks old! im starting to wonder, and we thought this at the time too, but is this too young ? or just my paranoia kicking in again lmao
Donna

Post by Donna »

Selling babies is very difficult sometimes. To an inexperienced person they should not leave the breeder until their about 3 months old because babies can show signs of regression meaning their not abundantly weaned yet. They still beg for comfort feedings. An inexperienced person wouldn't know these signs. Now for some one that has hand fed a baby then 8 weeks is a good age to sell. That was a very good question!!

Donna :D
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

yea.. i think Arch did have those signs to think of it... and there may have been trouble if not for Baby taking on 'mum' role and feeding him. The day after he came home, he hadnt eaten a thing, so i gave hime some of the baby food mixture stuff he gulped it down, then ate everything in sight, but still begged to baby for more feedings. After a lot of talking, my partner and i decided NEVER to get a baby that young again. Im not complaining, i love him to bits, insolent, independent, arrogant loner he may be lol, but that was an experience to be remembered, and not repeated lol.
On a side note... ive been told 2 fids only hehe... one day though :D
i worked him enough to get one didnt i?? then 2!! haha
Donna

Post by Donna »

:lol: I don't ask hubby any more if I can have another fid. I just bring them home and he sits and shakes his head. Now he gets as excited as I do over a new baby. We are currently awaiting a baby Umbrella Cockatoo. We were suppose to go vistit it today but we had some pretty bad weather (snow) about a foot of it fell last night. This will make 9 birds for me but I love each and every one of them. You can't have just one but you do have to know your limits. Have a great day!!

Donna
Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Tiki came home when he was only 8 weeks old and I never had a problem with him.
Here4Fun

Post by Here4Fun »

8 weeks here also. Bad breeder! Even though he taught me very well what to do, I was a brand new bird mommy and shouldnt have been hand feeding a baby.

The breeder should have been until a few weeks later because I didnt know what I was doing. Good thing I didnt drown him or ect.

The breeder, in his defense, did have to watch me handle and feed my Baby before I left with him that day. He used his judgment and let me take Baby.

Now... on the other hand... my Grey... Im not picking him up until he is a bit over 4 months. I feel that he needs to be with the breeder longer. I miss him. Think about him constantly. But, know this is right.

Unfortunately, the breeder would have let me take my Grey at 7 weeks. WAY too young, IMHO. I will pick him up when his feeding become few. Probably the first week of April.

Leaving him that day was a major wake up call as to my maturity. I dont want to be mature. :lol:

I want my Grey! :lol:

I would feel safe, as a breeder, passing a ringneck to one of us at 8 weeks. Anyone whom I was unsure about their knowledge would have to wait until 12 weeks or longer if the baby hadnt taken to fruits and veggies yet. At least developed a taste for them.

This is why I dont breed! I would feel like noone would take as good a care of the babies as I would and in my heart I know thats rediculous.
Loving Life and Living Right!!!