getting alexanderine

Moderator: Mods

sonic70

getting alexanderine

Post by sonic70 »

hi my daughter wants to get a alexadarine chick dus any one here own a alexandrine and what are there personalitys like. thanx Sonia and Tamara
sonic70

flight suits

Post by sonic70 »

has any one got flight suits if so wat are they like.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

They are like a shirt you LOVE but when you put it in your closet, you never decide to wear it... ever.

Ringnecks generally DO NOT take kindly to them. If you are lucky enough to get it on, they can chew out in less time than it took to get them in the thing.

Like the shirt you loved, it will probably just hang there, IMHO.
~ Mikaela Sky

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Alexandrian make great parrots. Though I have only worked with them a bit, I have come to learn they are much more docile then ringnecks. They are gentile giants—this does not mean that they will not bite. Also, keep in mind like most parrots; they are going to have their good and bad days.

Because they are larger parrots, their noise level is much greater then a ringneck. My ears are sometimes left ringing in the presence of an Alexandrian. I should also mention they are true masters at reproducing human speech and household sounds.

On the downside, Alexandrians are much more prone to feather picking. They tend to be a parrot that needs to be taught to play independently while you are out. Setting a good foundation from day one is key.

Both males and females make great pets; however, the females can become territorial—especially during their breeding season. It takes a confident person to deal with a hormonal hen. Her beak is much larger then an African Grey who is a little larger then a Alexandrian.

Both males and females look very similar to a green ringneck—just a larger beak and a patch of maroon feathers on the wings. It’s obvious these species are related.

If you want an Alexandrian I say go for it; however, be prepared for the work involved. Keep in mind Alexandrians need a much larger cage to accommodate their tail. If you think a ringneck's tail is long and flamboyant, an Alexandrian’s is much longer.

Hope this helps to give you a small insight into this species, :wink:

Imran Chaudhry
sonic70

thank you ring neck admin

Post by sonic70 »

thank you with that helpful infomation if i was to get tamara a baby chick with out feathers and it was raised around cosmo do you think they wll become mates

we did that with a weeero we had and they came bf and gf it was very cute unfortunatly she flew away last year. is was sooooo sad Tamara was very upset and so was cosmo god she was a menice bloody double trouble big time. lol.

thanx alot Sonia
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

so sorry to hear about weeero. :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

yea so are we we hope she has flown to near by avery or some thing like that so yea..... wwe are talking about getting a mate for cosmo like a alexanderine so ea well my daughter Tamara wamnts to get a alexanderin any ways so yea.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

No problem, please update us if you get your new little parrot :wink:

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

will do if i dont Tamara will lol. douse any one know when alexanderines start breeding or the al year round breeders
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Breeding season is different depending on where you are.
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

ok well i live in australia so yea in wa perth.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'd suggest going to a breeder in your area or ringing a breeder to find out. :wink: Hard to say when breeding season is in different areas. Over here in Melb its around spring time for IRNs, (i think) well thats when my IRNs were born so its a guess.
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

yea irn start hatching around then here to. before i forget cosmo has picked up v intamet noises around the house tamara was telling me today.

the place he could have learnt the noises from is the TV.