Can Indian Ringnecks & Eclectus Parrots bond?

Moderator: Mods

Bronwyn

Can Indian Ringnecks & Eclectus Parrots bond?

Post by Bronwyn »

Seasons Greetings y'all. I need some advise....we have had 'Ringo' for just on 1 year. She is approx 18 months old, I read that it takes them about 1 year to really settle in & this is true. She is really comfortable with the two of us now. She showers with me every morning & is out of the cage with Michael when he gets home. Ringo is defintley Michaels bird, she gets grumpy with me but 'assumes the position' & clucks away as soon as he gets close.
We looked after a lost Eclectus parrot for about a fortnight about 2 years ago (before we had Ringo)...luckily found the owner, but we fell MADLY in love & always dreamed of having our own.
Michael announced yesterday that he has found us a new baby & we will be taking delivery of a 5 month female Eclectus at the end of January, so we have plenty of time to get things ready. She has been hand raised in a wonderful environment.....BUT I am worried & wanting to get some feedback as to if Ringo & Ruby will get along?? Can these two breeds live happily & interact together, as I don't want to be having separate interaction times... If anybody has any tips or advise it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Brony :D
Bronwyn Schouten
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Mine get along but aren't 'bonded' I don't think that will happen. Just let them get to know each other slowly...and always under your eye

Dani
Bird crazy

GETTING ALONG

Post by Bird crazy »

If I remember correctly, Ekkies are not the flock type, lets all play and snuggle up. I had a male Ekkie and he liked having the quaker in the same bird room, and they would share a play gym under supervision for only a short period of time before he ran her off. However he wanted her in the same room and would call for her if I took him out the lanai and not her or left him in and took her out. I would let them loose in the bird room and he would most always stay on his cage. but she would be determined to visit him, he would usually tolerate it if he was inside she would hang on the side and they would feed each other and through the bars, however one day he apparently got mad and grabbed her by the side of the beak and attempted to break her beak. Left a nasty open wound that healed fortunately,

moral of the story Alway supervise the birds never allow out time alone without you there.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Bronwyn

Valuable advise

Post by Bronwyn »

Thank you for that valuable advise....I will not leave them unattended!! Now I just have to drill that into Michaels brain. :roll:
Will keep you posted on how they get along.
Bronwyn Schouten
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

im not too sure on ekkies, but even with my 2 ringnecks: baby about 1 year old and archimedes 9-10 weeks old they get to spend time together in the same cage when we are home, however when we goto work, we dont feel they can be trusted enough to be left alone together (baby will nip at arch's feet when shes had enough) and the silly lil bugger is too docile to move and after reading your story birdcrazy... imma keep my eyes on them even more (oh i hope they day comes theyre bonded enough to share the cage) and on the regurgitation, we decided to allow it, if it IS in fact a sign of bonding, i dont want them to feel they shouldnt or arent allowed to bond, so we will allow it a lil longer, and see what the vet says on the weekend if we can get in to see him
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

YEs I do think that it is possible for irns to bond with other birds if bothbirds are willing to bond. I actually have, because they chose to do this,A Irn and a red bellied parrot as cage mates. They do everything together, even preen each other, sleep together and shower together :D But i did not incourage this, they did this all on ther own:)
Bird crazy

Yeah for Dude and Buddy

Post by Bird crazy »

Hope I have the name right on the redbellied.
Been wondering how you guys were getting along.

Glad to hear they have bonded. :)
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Same applies with Baby and Peaches.

Their love is so true... real. We could learn a lot about love if we looked to animals for the pure simplicity in it.

Baby whimpers and paces until I bring him his girl. She, on the other hand, knows she has in whipped so pays him little to no attention.

I think the less we care if they get along, the more apt they are too. I NEVER even tried to get Baby and Peaches to be friends... didnt want her around a ringneck.

They made the decision to be velcroed together. I tried to get Buddy and Baby to be friends, nah uh, Baby is horrified!
~ Mikaela Sky

iaowings

Post by iaowings »

George (irn) has bonded with my two tiels Mack and Doots. They share a flight cage, George and Doots sleep next to each other. George will not let anyone near Doots at night. sticking your hand in the cage anywhere near Doots after lights out will insure you get several full force irn bites followed by the growl and then more bites.

The three just got along and I really didn’t try to force the issue it just happened that way. They would be out for play time and everyone got along. Eventually when I let Doots and Mack out they would run over to Georges cage and climb into it. this never bother George and eventually they all just ended up in one big cage that they now share. George and Doots are inseparable to the point that more that 3 feet and they both get agitated about it.

My three guys do everything together I cant separate them without all three going crazy. So when one needs a vet check they all get a vet check, when one needs wing clipping they all go together. God forbid one gets sick and needs to be separated.

Now Carmen my female si ekkie doesn’t like the little ones near her but does tolerate them being in the same room. She can sit on one shoulder and let the others sit on the other shoulder. She dose seam to like Mack a little but I use extreme caution as one good bite and Mack is done. So far though she hasn’t threatened him or any of that so this is a good sine. Mack is to trusting and would not know to move if she were to get agitated at or with him until it was to late. So I keep them separate unless I am right there watching. Like you would do with a small chilled and a bird you kinda hover.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Isnt that weird how ringnecks just LOVE tiels.

Baby walks around with Peaches on his back... both looking pure stupid. Shes a good girl though usually, he will put his head down and tell her to step up a million times if thats what it takes.

Baby would be a good ringneck owner lol. Much patience.
~ Mikaela Sky