does it take a special person to own a IRN?

Moderator: Mods

Newbirdmom

does it take a special person to own a IRN?

Post by Newbirdmom »

I was at a bird show some time ago and there was this lady the had ring necks. She told me that ring necks are mean and nasty birds. I told her how mine was and loved to be kissed and talked to. I can touch every part of Maya ans he will not bite me. She also told me to watch the kids becouse it only take one time for the kid to shy away from a open beak to get Maya into biteing. Why was this Lady so harsh on IRN I find them the best little bird ever. I got bit by a cockteil once and that hurt for like a week. Maya never bit me that hard. How can such a sweet bird be so rotten in other people eyes??
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Some things weren't meant to be enjoyed by all. I think Indian Ringnecks are one of those things that people either click with straight away or don't.I love all birds, and have had good experiences with nearly all the birds (fids) I have meet. There are always going to be uneducated people out there who either have one or two bad experiences with certain creatures, or judge purely on what they have heard without finding out for themselves, and form a bad opinion of them.
When talking about my fids to non bird people I am always surprised at the silly and sometimes stupid things that they insist are true. I go on what I know and what I have seen most of the times. Its like my rottie. People are always telling me how dangerous, vicious and down right evil they are, not to let my kids near them blah blah blah. My big girl is like a kitten around Sophia and has never in the 8 years I have owned her given me any cause for alarm.
For what its worth though, Pepper bites me nearly once everyday. And bless her feathery soul I still love her. They don't necessarily have to be cuddly to be lovable lol (but I hear it helps hehee).
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Oh and I hear you on the teil bites. Pepper never draws blood, my teils on the other hand have. Ouchy.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I know our fids think we are all special!
MCS
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

One must have... very close to... but not really with... a sick, narcissistic personality trait to invest in what it takes to make a ringneck a pet. Otherwise, we simply wouldnt. Like thousands of others, we would just walk away.

Something is inside a ringneck owner. They can look at that bird and know its awesome thoughts and abilities. They literally thrive to bring out that miraculous being... bite after bite.

It takes a special person to own a ringneck. If I sold them, I would have told you everything that lady did... and more.

Thats a good breeder. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

heh i dunno about takin a special person to own an irn, but i tell ya, both of my fids picked me lol coulda been any other bird, but those 2 came right out to me
Cindy

Ringneck people are VERY special

Post by Cindy »

Ringneck people are people that can read and understand bird body language..we adapt to the bird, not have the bird adapt to us..Example, I rescued Mrs. B...Mean as they come. She would take your hand off just for offering a peanut..NOW, she will let me pet her, kiss her, she flys off her perch to look for me...However, still will NOT step up on a hand.....Luna, tame rescue, will step up, will give kiss (if you give him something to hold in his mouth)..if you don't, will give you a gash to your face...will bite you to death if you pet him.... They both love me, call to me, do the happy dance in the cage to come out to me.......Now my cockatiels, I can pick up, turn upside down, kiss, pet, do just about anything I want to do to them...Not the independent Ringneck....I do not own Ringnecks, I am friends with them, equals to them.....never an owner...
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

That is what I feel with Maya. He knows what I am thinking and I know what he is thinking. We just clicked from day one. Sure he bit me but I am sure I did something that was not right. This is my first bird and sure maybe not a good starter bird but he has taught me alot about my self and how to care for birds. I used to work at a pet shop and my big job was feeding the babies. We had everything in but I never saw a ringneck there. I even have a scar on my eye from a scarlet macaw.

What I did with Maya was hold him and touch every part of his body. Now matter what he did I still made sure I touched him. He hated his wings touched so I did it anyways never showed him that I was going to give in. I can even hold his feet. This was befor I found this message board. My friend that gave me this bird also had a nice lutino. She ended up selling it becouse it was not a bird like her love birds.

I glad it does take a special person to have one becouse that means I am special. Maya and I have the best friendship ever.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Interesting....sounds something like a cat vs dog as a pet discussion. Must admit I must be very lucky with whoever had Magellan before me, cuz s/he (actually I am back to thinking I see a ring, but will just wait and see) is such a sweetie.
MCS
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

I think if your IRN bonds with you, you will have a wonderful companion. The bird must decide on its own that you are its friend. I've seen how my bird is with other people, if she does not like them. She can be very tempermental and nippy. I am the only one who can pick her up and flip her on her back, in that submissive way. Even the vet has to use a towel to hold her. You have to be very patient, especially with second-hand birds. Eventually they will want to spend time with you, get curious about everything you do, and follow you like a puppy dog. At least that's what happened with my bird. She's a real character. Just laid an egg, too!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Annie is right. I just got Buddy a few weeks ago and he is FAR more attached than Baby. Baby's love is truer because we are mother/fid. Since a hatchling... Baby is just too busy to miss me as fast as Buddy.

Baby is content for me to go about my day in the house, everyone perched... all is well.

But whats weird is:

I just adopted Buddy and he isnt a good boy about staying perched. He gets down and finds me.

I woke up from my nap yesterday and that little fool was standing on my shoulder RIGHT in my face. Spooked me at first but just stayed still to see what he was doing before waking me.

The way he decided to do it (I was on my side) was walk up me from foot to shoulder then licking my face.

Shoot... didnt work... back to feet he would go an back to my shoulder to lick me.

I opened my eyes slowly (he is still skitish) and whispered, 'Hey Buddy... what you doing?

He stood very erect and said 'Pretty Bird' looking to the side, away from me. I said you sure are a pretty bird and a smart one too. Baby has my voice. He has a manlier one. Much different.

No idea how he found me. My bed is high. They must be able to smell us from far?
~ Mikaela Sky

LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

I have to watch where I step, because she will get right under my feet. If I lay down to take a nap, PeeGee will perch on a nearby shelf and groom her feathers, waiting for me to get up. Sometimes she will do the same thing as Baby, land on my shoulder & wake me up with that coo-coo-coo.

She is jealous of my dog, Minnie (another female!) Minnie has learned to keep her distance!

Really, these supposedly aloof birds can be very affectionate, from what I've seen.