suggestions please.

Moderator: Mods

ron

suggestions please.

Post by ron »

i have converted my outbuilding (brick) into a two cage aviary housing four ringnecks with a porthole that can be closed and therefore isolating both cages.both have a nestbox,window covers both cages and i am going to build outside flight against window next year.all four have been in cages for past three months so should now be climatised.also have a plug in thermostat which turns on oil filled radiator when temp drops to 8c and have radio on during day and auto light till 7 pm.birds are fine only trouble is a keep finding the odd slug in base of either cage.(cage sizes are 2m x over 1m x 2.5m.)do not want to use slug pellets in case birds eat slugs, have tried eggshells at entrance yet they are still in aviary.any suggestions?also tips on my aviary would be greatly appreciated.
cheers Ron.
ps i use pine scented wood pellet cat litter on floor.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

don't know about the slugs...maybe they are good food? Do the birds eat them? Can't be any worse for them than mealie worms, I would think.....Would love to see a photo....I keep wanting an aviary!
MCS
Bird crazy

slugs

Post by Bird crazy »

I know in the us an unorthodox method is to use a beer can open it and if able to bury it so top is ground level they crawl in and die, birds wouldn't be able to get to it either.
Also salt will kill slugs so might try salt at perimeters just don't want to have it where birds could over ingest a large amt of salt. If you could put it our of their reach, I don't think the slugs would cross the salt but if they did they would die.

Both cheap and worth a try.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat