color changing

Moderator: Mods

Peanut

color changing

Post by Peanut »

When we got our IRN a month ago it was grey and turquise-green. Now it is changing to grey/green. How is this happening if our bird isn't growing any new feathers? It seems as though he is getting more green everyday, especially on his head and around his legs. If he is 9 months old, will he change a lot more green, or will it slow down soon?
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

From what it looks like your Peanut is a turquoise grey just like my George. The green tinge can become rather over powering. But ive noticed it depends on light and all that as to how much you see it.

This might help you as far as just seeing the different mutations. You just described the description here of a turquoise grey to a t. http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... rameri.htm
Turquoise Grey (Combination of Turquoise and Grey)
Inheritance: Combination of Turquoise and dominant Grey; Turquoise is Dominant in Blue-series.
Description
Body: General turquoise with grey; wings with pale greygreen tinge.
Tail: Dark grey with whitish tip.
Head: Grey with turquoise, brighter around the beak; neck ring black with rose or white by male.
Beak/Feet: Red upper mandible, black lower mandible; grey feet, black nails.
Eyes: Black with yellowish iris.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Good question, I have to say diet? My boy is starting to take on a olive hue which was once a lime. (see avatar, lime)
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Nothing to worry about it.
Peanut is a Turquoise Grey. The Turquoise gene causes a green wash.
There is generally a small amount of green on them but once they have their first 2 moults, a lot more green will come in.
It usually only comes in on the wings, mantle, and head.
Peanut

a few questions....

Post by Peanut »

Does anybody know how often IRN's molt? Since we've had him he hasn't moulted. He's been rubbing his beak on EVERYTHING and lets me rub it for him too, which he never did before-which is really cute! I also have a few more questions.... When I decide to go get a beak trim on my IRN, will it hurt him??? Dani said there was nerve endings on his beak, and thats why he was rubbing everything.. I mean, I don't want to hurt him. Maybe are the nerve endings up towards the top or the beak and not on the bottom??? My last question is how will I know when he needs a beak trim, and how often do they need them? Sorry about so many questions, im just interested hehe :lol:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*giggles* Ah the questions of a new IRN parront...the nerve endings in the beak feel good. Just don't go hitting him (DUH) and you are more than welcome to touch that beak all you want, so long as you keep the fingers :P

From what I have heard IRNs go through 2 moults...one for the smaller feathers and the larger one for the flight/tails

Dani
Peanut

???

Post by Peanut »

So do you know when they go though their molts? Is it twice in their lifetime, or does it happen when their younger??? Sorry these questions are so silly, lol, but Im just curious :lol: And don't worry Dani, my fingers are all still here...... for now :shock:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oh they moult twice a year ;)

Depends on where you live and the conditions for the moult

Dani
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

My birds moult once a year. Right after breeding season.
Pamzie

moulting

Post by Pamzie »

hey I got skyler when he was about 5 1/2 months old. Now he's 9 months old and I've never seen him go through a moult, whats with that?
Ed Loschi

My birds molt once a year.

Post by Ed Loschi »

My birds molt once a year around the late summer/early autumn here in North Fla. My male, Bebe, had his first molt about 14 months after he hatched and his second molt when his neckring came in beautifully about 10 months after that; since then he's molted regularly late summer/early autumn.
Peanut

black hairs

Post by Peanut »

Ok, I noticed that Peanut has some small black hairs coming in between his beak and his eyes. They keep getting a little darker every week. Does this mean Peanut could be a boy, or do all IRN's get this dark coloring there?
Ed Loschi

Yeah probably a boy Irn

Post by Ed Loschi »

Yeah probably a boy Irn. BTW birds have feathers but no hair.
Peanut

oops

Post by Peanut »

Well, the feathers are so small, they look like little hairs. My bad