wing clipping

Moderator: Mods

Newbirdmom

wing clipping

Post by Newbirdmom »

Maya's wings are just now starting to grow back. She has 2 feathers on each side. now when I got her back in May he wings where cute short and she did not glide down but fell like a rock. Should I wait till all of her feathers grow back in befor I have them cliped?or should I clip them as they grow?
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

keep them trimmed!!!!!!!!!

We just lost jasper in a strange town coz we waited too long to get him re-clipped after someone f&%ked up his last clipping
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Clip them when YOU feel like she has too much flight/freedom.

When her wings are long enough to start causing you trouble, then clip.

I never wait til any real flight is acheived. Baby aggravates me too much by flying from his stand so I clip him so my lazy butt doesnt have to get up.
~ Mikaela Sky

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Exactly what and how I wanted to say what 'He' said.

When they flutter too frequently... clip.
~ Mikaela Sky

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

the moment we get that little bugger back we going straight to the vet for a full blown clipping
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

There is one thing I would like to bring up!

Please be careful about wing clipping too early. You do NOT want to clip a blood feather. I allow Prinny's to grow out completely before clipping her. Once you clip those stray 'one or two' wing feathers, the new blood feathers that grow in don't have support around them and are more lialbe to break!

Food for thought ;)

Dani
fiona

Post by fiona »

I agree dani03, plus if you are paying someone to do it, it's cheaper to wait. HOWEVER, if it has become dangerous, I would do right away
Ringneckmom

Post by Ringneckmom »

You also don't want to clip all the feathers like was done before. I would not do more than say the outermost 5 on each side and see how that works.

You could also do a modified clip and not clip all the way to the secondaries. That should help protect any blood feathers still growing in. They may still be able to get some wind so be very careful.
"Losing your hearts desire is tragic.. but gaining it is all you could have ever hoped for." ~ One Tree Hill
~ Clara ~