safe branches

Moderator: Mods

Bird crazy

safe branches

Post by Bird crazy »

I have a list of safe trees to take brances from for birds but now I need to know WHERE DO YOU GO TO GET THEM?
I don't have any trees on my property and I don't know how to identify the other trees except an oak because of acorns. So how do I know what tree I'm looking at and where do I go to get branches off of them? Like at a city park I think they will arrest me if they see me cutting the oak trees up.
Any suggestions?
:?
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Melika

Post by Melika »

Perhaps you can contact a local landscaping company and ask if they have any branches of ________ tree they're throwing out that you can dig through. Or even a plant nursery. Explain why you want them and that you are not selling them. They may be able and willing to help.

My father owns his landscaping company and brings home branches for me to pick through for the birds. I've become partial to citrus branches for some reason...

OOH, when I move here to Tacoma I can steal apple branches from my friends' trees!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Thanks
I had tried Lowes in their landscaping dept asked if they had any dead trees returned but they thought I was crazy and said no, so I tried a local landscape company with the same request and they didn't have any either. I'll try again and if I see a tree trimmer in a yard I think I'll go directly then and ask them. :)
Sue
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Sue, have you seen my stands made of driftwood? I can go today and cut you a piece at the island.

Gas would be cheaper than the wood. Besides, knowing my man, it wouldnt be a piece of wood when you got her but an entire stand.

Bedroom Stand:

Living room stand:

He has added some things (ladders made of wood tied with leather) and added to them both but thats them before decorating them.
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

I would love one or two. The cage I got is large and I''d like to have one that reaches across the width of the cage so they can go back and forth and run away from each other, or actually so Nila can run from Priya. My life is crazy right now, not sure when I could get to Tampa but it would be a good excuse to go fishing on the skyway bridge :) Mom is coming for a month and loves to fish. As do I but don't take the time to do so until Mom comes and then we go together. My hubby is sick and starts chemo next week too so who knows what will occur when but I sure would love one or two. cage is 42inches wide side to side and 26 front to back and in the tall part is 50 high.

When I had my Ekkie I had a whole orange tree we cut down from our back yard, I trimmed it up and we anchored it in a bucket of cement, it was great.

Thanks for the offer and if you have the chance great but can't promise when I could get up there. :)
Sue
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Hey Sue don't you think Mik's beautiful stands would go for about $300 at Pet Kingdom? Need some money, Mik :wink:

Remember that rediculus $800 play stand?! How about you get that one :o

hehe
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Pull a tape on how wide and how long you want it. Remember, we have to be able to fit it in the door or the top of the cage. lol

You'll be cute with a piece of wood you drove all the way to Tampa to get and standing there at your cage looking crazy like 'damn' when you get home. :lol:

Oooohhhh daaayum now I got that song in my head, sing it with me missi:

Everytime I turn around something keeps pulling me back, telling me I need you in my life lalala

Everytime I turn around something keeps telling me that, everythings gon be aiight. lalalala

lala Now ya sitting dere lookin crazy like damn lalala
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

branches

Post by Bird crazy »

Gee thanks Mikaela, it would need to be about 45-46 inches wide, it can go in the top and then across without any trouble or in the door too since the cage has large swing open doors on both sides. So no need to go get it tomorrow but if you have a chance and do get one let me know and I'll start juggling schedules to make a fishing/wood collecting trip to your area.

Uh Missi if it's a Sunday can you go too, if you'd like to fish off a bridge, have you seen the skyway bridge at St Pete?
Sue
Bird crazy

Found some oak brances!

Post by Bird crazy »

I have a friend who has large oak trees in his yard, lots of large oak trees and I aske could I have some branches
However his trees were all trimmed up high because of the hurricains for the last few years

Anyway, his uncle has an empty lot down the street from him and he said let's go take a look and so we were able to pinch 3 long branches from the trees there.

I stripped the bark and scrubbed them and hubby was able to cut one to length for me and now the birdies have a perch that goes all the way across the cage, from side to side. I still have the remainder of that piece and 2 other large brances with y's and knobs on them.

I also went out and bought new toys, so hubby is mad and won't even think of making a playgym yet :lol: But I'm working on him and I'll keep the branches until he comes around and then Nila and Priya should have an awesome place to play.
Sue
xo Missi

Re: branches

Post by xo Missi »

Bird crazy wrote:Gee thanks Mikaela, it would need to be about 45-46 inches wide, it can go in the top and then across without any trouble or in the door too since the cage has large swing open doors on both sides. So no need to go get it tomorrow but if you have a chance and do get one let me know and I'll start juggling schedules to make a fishing/wood collecting trip to your area.

Uh Missi if it's a Sunday can you go too, if you'd like to fish off a bridge, have you seen the skyway bridge at St Pete?

Wow, how did I miss this?? I would love to go along. The trouble we ladies could make!!! :lol:

*EDIT* Okay, now that I read you other post, Sue, nevermind :lol: I'll assume we're not going? I want to see pics of the branches in the cage! Or perhaps I'll see them Wednesday? :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My husband has made a stand for you sue. Or for anyone else that may want or need it.

You get first dips because you are who he had in mind when building it.

Let me snap a pic. Its very nice and Baby loves it. He is way more active on that stand that the others. He likes to swing like a little monkey.

K brb, taking pic.

Let me know if you are interested. If not, its up for grabs.
~ Mikaela Sky

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Camera phone so pics suck but gives an idea.

Hope you can see the details such as the spiral staircase and such. I'll have a battery for my real cam soon. Lazy. Hate stores.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.j ... derid=2006

This one stands alone on the floor and takes up about 2 ft by 3 ft of floor space. He built up, understanding some may have a problem with ones that take up alot of floor space. A new yorker for ya. heh.
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

the links just take you to a log in page :(
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Mik :shock: I don't need to see the pic, I'll take it I'll take it
It will be great, I've seen the pics of your play gyms and
I think they are great. I wanted one for in my living room, I have a silk banana tree there now between the sofa and recliners in a corner and I've
been thinking it would be great to have a play gym there for the birds so when we are in there they can be there with us.
It's so lovely of your hubby to do that for me.
***SMOOCH****

I'd like to say we could come up saturday to pick it up but hubby gets his first treatment Fri afternoon, not sure how sick he will be on Sat.
But if it works out for us will that work for you and Missi will that work for you, when are you at the aviary? Oh I forgot you're getting the baby this saturday. :D Hmmm have to think on this Maybe Sunday afternoon?
How's that for a tenative plan, leave Ft Myers after 12:30, eat a little lunch on the road at a drive in window if we have the birdies with us, and then get there around 2;30 or so. we have a pickup with 4 doors :)
Sue
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Bird crazy wrote:Mik :shock: I don't need to see the pic, I'll take it I'll take it
It will be great, I've seen the pics of your play gyms and
I think they are great. I wanted one for in my living room, I have a silk banana tree there now between the sofa and recliners in a corner and I've
been thinking it would be great to have a play gym there for the birds so when we are in there they can be there with us.
It's so lovely of your hubby to do that for me.
***SMOOCH****

I'd like to say we could come up saturday to pick it up but hubby gets his first treatment Fri afternoon, not sure how sick he will be on Sat.
But if it works out for us will that work for you and Missi will that work for you, when are you at the aviary? Oh I forgot you're getting the baby this saturday. :D Hmmm have to think on this Maybe Sunday afternoon?
How's that for a tenative plan, leave Ft Myers after 12:30, eat a little lunch on the road at a drive in window if we have the birdies with us, and then get there around 2;30 or so. we have a pickup with 4 doors :)

Sounds like a beautiful plan! SOOO EXCITED!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Sunday at 3

*happy dance*
~ Mikaela Sky