I am...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

I am...

Post by Mikaela »

A Wildlife Warrior !!!

In the name of Steve-o. We can only try to pick up where you left off but rest assured, we'll never be blessed with another soul like yours. Rest easy mate.

If you are to... Shout it out!
~ Mikaela Sky

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

I'm with you!

WILDLIFE WARRIORS UNITE!!!
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

Count me in too...

Crocks rule......
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

WW 4 LIFE!!! :lol: For sure!

I do my darndest to get every turtle in the middle of the road off the damn road and into a lake or pond! After rain, there are big ol' Sliders and Softshells all over the roads. I slam my car into park (yes in the middle of the road), fling the door open, and grab the turtle. I set him down on the passenger side and whisk him away to our apartment's pond. Those softshells are vicious! lol

No other car's have yelled or honked at me yet, most just say they appreciate what I'm doing. I hope I don't get hit one day, though. I literally slam my car into park and jump out the car with out looking.

I cry a little every time I see the poor turtles hit. It's terrible.

Here's the first Softshell I rescued from the road quite a few months ago. Brought him back to our apartment so I could get my camera for a pic. I'm used to the smaller Northern turtles. I swear, everything's bigger in Florida! :roll:

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Aw Missi that's so sweet! I used to rescue the baby birds that fell out of nests...and I refused to let the cat keep anything he caught.

Count me in...I am a Wildlife Warrior!

Dani
ambros1a

i think i belong in this group too lol

Post by ambros1a »

ever since i can remember we always had animals, many of them rescues or ones that just adopted us. everything from cats, dogs, mice, rats and wild birds. We had a crow live with us for a good 4 months after we found him assumably having fallen from the nest, and my dog ran over, we investigated adn there was 'Roderick' as dad named him. only ones i didnt like was the neighbours snake *shudders* slimy things... gimme one of those turtles any day :D
id love to get one one day when i have a pond but here you need a lisence from the EPA (noticed when i was in the pet shop last, hunting playgrounds for baby)
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Missi:

Do be careful on the road, I think we have more crazy drivers here in Fl that other places or maybe just more old drivers that shouldn't be on the road any more. But we did actually have a fatality here last spring when someone was trying to rescue a turtle. Not sure if the turtle survived but the little girl did not.
I too have rescued lots of turtles here in Florida. Have you had the opportunity to see a gopher tortoise yet? On the endangered list. I saw several during mating season several years ago off Bayshore road there in Naples. They are really cool and quite large.

So wildlife warriors, go out there, be safe, and care for the creatures God so abundantly provided for us.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Bird crazy wrote:Missi:

Do be careful on the road, I think we have more crazy drivers here in Fl that other places or maybe just more old drivers that shouldn't be on the road any more. But we did actually have a fatality here last spring when someone was trying to rescue a turtle. Not sure if the turtle survived but the little girl did not.
I too have rescued lots of turtles here in Florida. Have you had the opportunity to see a gopher tortoise yet? On the endangered list. I saw several during mating season several years ago off Bayshore road there in Naples. They are really cool and quite large.

So wildlife warriors, go out there, be safe, and care for the creatures God so abundantly provided for us.

Sue and Nila

I will be more careful from now on :oops: I just get so worked up because I'm so passionate about animals and then I see cars barreling down on them! I am a pretty unselfish person so I WANT TO SAVE THEM :D Buuuut....you're right Sue! I don't want to get hit by a car. OUCH. Thanks for the talkin'-to!
I HAVE NOT seen the tortoises yet but I REEEALLLY want to. I hear they get hit quite a bit. I read an article in the newspaper. A lot were being brought to The Conservency wildlife rehabilitation center (I took a baby mourning dove there once who I saw get attacked by a crow). I don't see how people can not see a big turtle or tortoise in the middle of the road! I mean, it's not like the thing just runs out there from the middle of no where...they're not quick!! The drivers down here really get on my nerves (the traffic is worse than Chicago!). They need to pay attention. I don't care if they're old or not!
CarolinaWren

Post by CarolinaWren »

I AM ... always a day late & a dollar short, but COUNT ME IN!!

huggles,

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all

Emily Dickinson